Thread: Rusty Bandsaw Blades

Rusty Bandsaw Blades

Rusty Bandsaw Blades

I have 5 new never been used bandsaw blades that have gotten rusty due to poor storage. (Got them that way with a saw I bought) Can they still be use or are they any good anymore? They are not super rusty but some parts of the blade have rust from the teeth to the back part of the blade.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

How about installing them[one at a time of course] on your bandsaw and cut away on some scrap plywood? This would remove much of the rust I think.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Can they still be use
    Sure. They won't be as sharp as they once were but they will cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    How about installing them[one at a time of course] on your bandsaw and cut away on some scrap plywood? This would remove much of the rust I think.
    This works, I've done it. No sense throwing away blades with life left in them.

If the rust is a bit persistent for the scrap wood cleaning method, you could wrap a strip of sandpaper or emery cloth around a small piece of wood and CAREFULLY sand the sides of the mounted, moving blade (while turning the wheel by hand or with the machine under power, depending on your comfort level.)

Without hijacking the thread, my question is how to prevent the rust in the first place..?

I have just acquired my first band saw and bought two extra blades for it. Folded, they won't fit in a "large" pizza box. They are 3,5 meters long. If I get a bigger box, is the only preventative procedure to oil it..?

Messy!

How do you store bandsaw blades in high risk rust areas..?

I live on the Indian Ocean coast where rust is a real demon.

Any help will be appreciated.

I store my BS blades in an old wood box, spray with WD-40 or any spray lube of your choice, wrap with oiled rag. And that oil is auto oil, not the spray stuff, which just evaporates. The initial spray is to get your sweat off the blades. I live in Hawaii, which is probably equivalent to there.

For the OP, get some WD-40 or equivalent, spray the rust, let soak and try scrubbing the rust off with a piece of scrap hardwood. Use gloves, since even dull rusty blades will cut you. Then run it through some scraps like everyone already said.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    This works, I've done it. No sense throwing away blades with life left in them.

If the rust is a bit persistent for the scrap wood cleaning method, you could wrap a strip of sandpaper or emery cloth around a small piece of wood and CAREFULLY sand the sides of the mounted, moving blade (while turning the wheel by hand or with the machine under power, depending on your comfort level.)
    Thanks for the replies and info, I figured I would try running them threw some wood to see if it would help, but as I figured this has probably happened before to others….. Out to the shop to saw some rust!
    Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006