Thread: why NOT to use drain tile ilo dust hose...

why NOT to use drain tile ilo dust hose...

I recently got my hands on a 1HP Grizzly dust collector. I'm torn as to what to do as I'd really like to get a 2HP unit so I can set it up in the attic rather than using it as a mobile unit and taking up precious real estate on the floor....I'm trying to get set up on a budget and with flexibility so I can upgrade in the near future..

I have a retractable hose on order with Rockler but have been getting impatient....

I remembered that had ~30 feet of 4" drain tile lying under the deck for a project....It's somewhat bendy and definitely should be rigid enough not to collapse. Let's see if it fits.

Yes, it fits. Plenty of room, will probably need some duct tape to seal.

Yes, it works.

Yes, it's absolutely freaking loud. There's a howl like a freight train blowing steam out all valves. There must be of harmonic with the semi-rigid tubing and the pleats. Very, Very, Very loud. Not an option.....

Where is that darn UPS truck!?!?!

Yitah
    "The will to achieve is nothing without the will to prepare" Juma Ikangaa

Haha - I had the same idea with the same results.
    I actually dont notice the howling when I have the "hose" actually hooked up to a machine to collect dust... It really only seems to be an issue if you have no restriction on the end.
    Drain tile sure is cheap (I think I paid ~ $3 for 10 feet) - but it sure isnt very flexible, and I wonder if the larger segmented ridges in the hose add extra drag as compared to the spiral stuff.
    Last edited by Jason Hanko; 11-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No howling with a machine on the end?

Maybe I'll try it out that way. You're right on it not being very flexible, but certainly is more flexible than pipe. You could probably get a 3' -4' radius circle from it but not much narrower. That's good for flow - not so much for routing.

The howling might have been fun for halloween...
    "The will to achieve is nothing without the will to prepare" Juma Ikangaa

Keep in mind that you are only a few rpms and some minor impeller design changes from having an air raid siren in your garage! The noisiest part is normally the exhaust...as that is where most of us have put mufflers of some kind....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.