Thread: Floating Shelves

Floating Shelves

I made these shelves using moulding (to match my house trim) inch thick boards. The tops are finished to match the windowsills.

I attached the shelves to the wall using a french cleat.
    I posted the plans on my website www.suburbanworkshop.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work. I really like the design.

Great job, Andre! I always liked the floating shelf idea. They are so versatile and stylish.

Sometime ago, I used three walnut shelves in a corner. However, mine were much slimmer and couldn't be mounted with a french cleat. They were hollow and the back edge was left open. I secured a strip of wood to the studs, and slipped the shelves over them and secured them with 23 gauge pins through the shelf in to the strips. This was a light weight arrangement, but the shelves were intended only for family pics.

I like your method as well. It permits the shelfs to be moved easier.

Andre - very nice work. One piece of advise though - might want to consider moving the vause from the top shelf to another location. Looks to be directly above the couch and pretty high. Would smarts if it fell - DAMHIKT.

Very nice Andrew.. and compliment your wife on using a darker tone paint on that one wall as it adds a touch! Women know that kind of stuff!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Very nice Andrew.. and compliment your wife on using a darker tone paint on that one wall as it adds a touch! Women know that kind of stuff!
    I hope your right about the Mrs.' idea, but it could have been Andre's doing!
    I'll second the idea though as my wife did pick a great color(similar) for our living room in our new house, which I was aprehensive about initially. She always knows better than I about that stuff.

Thanks for the idea. I have had my little surround sound speaker sitting on top of my couch for UMM 10 years now . Yes I am single.... Anyway I made a little version of this for the speaker out of pine scraps. I did not bother with the molding. I goofed and used a natural pine wood putty and then stained it dark chestnut. Looks much worse in the picture than it does in the room. I like big knots in pine which is why I picked the scrap for the front that I did. I don't know what the blotches are in the picture near the top but they are not in the shelf.... I think I will give it another coat of stain. The cleat works very well. I did use a scrap piece of oak for the cleat as I was a little leary of hanging that with pine....John

Last edited by john davey; 11-26-2009 at 10:43 AM.