Thread: SCMS Decision

SCMS Decision

It's time to replace my old hand-me down-Ridgid 10" miter saw. I have a small workshop, 1 car garage with a 14" bandsaw, cabinet table saw, Joiner, planer, and dust collection shoehorned in already. Although space limited I have found myself needing the capacity of a slider often enough that I am willing to make room. I have been trying to figure out a fixed miter station layout that using the 12" Hitachi SCMS because it needs less depth due to the design of the slider (and can be had for $449 in Anchorage). I thought about the new Makita 1016, but after playing with it at the Borg I am not convinced that it is an improvement over the 1013. The top bearings were rough and I have read hear about some runout issues. I also took a gander at the new Milwaukee, but it did not have a laser; I thought a laser might be useful. The slider was very smooth on the Milwaukee, better than any of the other saws on display. The table pivoted easily and smoothly. The bevel adjustment LCD even seemed like it might be useful, but at $649, out of my league. Then last week they drop the price of Big Red to $499. Then yesterday while getting some sandpaper I see a coupon near the sliders and it is for a free Ridgid miter saw stand with the purchase of a Ridgid or Milwaukee sliding miter saw (11/2/09-12/31/09). The Ridgid MSUV goes for $179 up here, so this seems like a crazy deal. I like it better than the Hitachi laser or no, but the Milwaukee is BIG. I am thinking that having it on the MSUV might give me the flexibility to make this work. What do you think?

I have no experience with the saws you've asked about, but I will say that I have a Rigid MSUV, and it is about the nicest miter saw stand out there that I have seen. They go on sale here about once or twice per year for $99.

$499 and a free MSUV - You have found your answer.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    $499 and a free MSUV - You have found your answer.
    +1 That's too good of a deal to pass up.

Milwaukee 6955-20?

$500 with MSUV? That's a decent deal IMO, I'd go for that...

However, Black Friday is coming up and most likely the MSUV will go on sale for around $100. (Less if you use a coupon)

I'm not sure what home imp/hardware stores you've got in your area, but black friday always comes with nice deals on SCMS + stands...

Last year at Home Depot, $350 could buy you the the Ridgid 12" laser slider + MSUV. To top that off, some people were using 10-15% off coupons to save even more.

Costco in my area still sells the Hitchi 12" SCMS for $400. I have a feeling that these might be discounted soon.

Personally I have the 10" hitachi slider C10FSH. I got it refurbished for like $325. Then I got the Ridgid MSUV for $100 on Black Friday. I know I didn't get a slick deal, but I'm pleased with how it's treated me.