Thread: Wood burning tips

Wood burning tips

Hello

Will be attending a woodcarving show in a few weeks and hope to pick up a wood burning system.

I am most interested in the Colwood detail master. I have a question about Headpieces. Does only certain brands of headpieces fit the Colwood? If so what fits? Only Colwood brand?
    I noticed the Burnmaster will accept any brand. The reason for my question above.

This is the kit I am most interested in. I understand that fix tips are better but thought this would be the best way for me to get a feel for what fix tips I would like to buy later.

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/stor...SE-PULLER.html

Any reason not to get the Colwood? What I am interested in but will be open to any brand with the right deal. Better question would be any brand to stay away from?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

just bought a 'detailer' from packard this week, with removable tip handpiece. will report soon as i get it and have the opportunity to use same. mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    just bought a 'detailer' from packard this week, with removable tip handpiece. will report soon as i get it and have the opportunity to use same. mike

Thanks,

Like ti hear any info you can give. The wood show is a little over two weeks away.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a Razer SK

I have a Razer SK. It uses wire tips with screw connectors. I have had it for two years now and have no complaints. I find it heats fast, and consistent. I like the fact that tips are cheap and I can make my own. I know nothing about the other units out there, but I know other guys that have this one and they feel the same about their unit.

I suspect that it depends upon the type of art that you are engaged in to make the best choice. I do not make pyrographic renderings, my work is part of my carving and turnings. Right now I am working on some Victorian era wood buttons with burned elements to embellish. I say this to consider that you may have bigger needs than I do. If you are in the same vein as me, then you can feel safe with the Razer line of tools.

Good luck,
    Phil

dave, so far i've only used it to sign a couple of bowls i turned. i find that the unit looks well made (although one of two rivets in the back of the unit just up and fell out when i unpacked it). the removeable tip fit on easily; haven't removed it yet. it heated up very quickly, and the variable temperature did vary the temperature greatly - all the way up to glowing hot tip hot. using a medium heat setting, i was able to handily write my name and burn my little symbol on the bottom of a spalted maple form and a cherry bowl. i'm looking forward to getting more tips and using it to decorate some work in the future. hope this helps, mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    dave, so far i've only used it to sign a couple of bowls i turned. i find that the unit looks well made (although one of two rivets in the back of the unit just up and fell out when i unpacked it). the removeable tip fit on easily; haven't removed it yet. it heated up very quickly, and the variable temperature did vary the temperature greatly - all the way up to glowing hot tip hot. using a medium heat setting, i was able to handily write my name and burn my little symbol on the bottom of a spalted maple form and a cherry bowl. i'm looking forward to getting more tips and using it to decorate some work in the future. hope this helps, mike
    Helps a lot. Thanks for taking the time to report back.
    - Rick Dale