Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

I currently use my shop vac for dust collection. I'm looking at purchasing the Harbor Freight DC. It's rated for 1550 CFM at 20 amps.

Does anyone know if it really is 20 amps? If you have one, how does it work for you? I have a coupon to purchase it for about $140. I do have 20 amp circuits in my shop.

IIRC, if something draws 20 amps, you need about a 30 amp circuit. Otherwise you will trip the breaker on startup. I think the rule is something like: your draw should be no more than 75% of breaker capacity...or something like that. Usually equipment "surges" at startup. Of course, the 20 amp rating may be a startup rating. I'm not totally sure. Just a red flag to me. Download the manual and see what it says about what size breaker you should use. Also, be sure to have ONLY that thing on that circuit.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have one and been using it for several months. It's a real gem.

I'd say it's probably closer to 900 CFM, and not quite 15 amps... I can measure the current draw of it tonight.

If it drew 20 amps I think it would pop my 15 amp breaker. heh

Still, the unit sounds great, sucks plenty of dust from my table saw, router table, band saw, and I plan to use it on a 12" jointer/planer and really put it to the test.

I highly recommend this DC, and for $140, you can't go wrong. I got the extended warranty on it, but I really doubt I will use it because it's built tough and I havn't heard any real negative reviews on it.

Your next question should be whether you should get the HF 4" hose, or a retractable rockler hose... I'd get the retractable one.

I have the same DC and has been working well for 2 years now. One thing you need to change out immediately are the bags. The ones that come with it are a little better than a burlab bag!

Get some good bags and you will have a decent setup.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Podsedly View Post
    I have the same DC and has been working well for 2 years now. One thing you need to change out immediately are the bags. The ones that come with it are a little better than a burlab bag!

Get some good bags and you will have a decent setup.

jim

I believe the new version comes with a 5um bag instead of the old 30um. Not quite 1um but a lot better. Cary

And I have heard of various people upgrading to a canister on the HF collector. Though I don't know if they are using the grizzly one or one from somewhere else. I believe it was somewhere else. But I'm sure there is somebody here who knows which of them fit.

Many of these DC units are rated optimistically. IIRC, Bill Pentz actually did some CFM testing on that unit and found it to be closer to 500 CFM with the stock bags, and ~ 800 CFM with a Winn cannister. I also seem to recall someone else testing the motor at closer to 1.5hp, which would put it in the 15 amp range but there's no guarantee that they're sticking with the same motors as the one tested.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 11-04-2009 at 2:19 PM. Reason: more info
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    IIRC, if something draws 20 amps, you need about a 30 amp circuit. Otherwise you will trip the breaker on startup. I think the rule is something like: your draw should be no more than 75% of breaker capacity...or something like that. Usually equipment "surges" at startup. Of course, the 20 amp rating may be a startup rating. I'm not totally sure. Just a red flag to me. Download the manual and see what it says about what size breaker you should use. Also, be sure to have ONLY that thing on that circuit.
    I downloaded the manual and makes no mention of needing anything other than a 3 prong outlet. No mention of a 30 amp outlet. It states that it's "20 Amps Peak". Sounds like they do they same thing Craftsman does/did...over state their ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I believe the new version comes with a 5um bag instead of the old 30um. Not quite 1um but a lot better. Cary
    Yes...this unit comes with the 5 micron bags.

I use one and it works very well. There have been threads about it in the past and it seems to be one of the better liked Harbor Freight tools. The main kick about it is that the switch has a tendency to go out but replacing the switch with a comparable is not that great or expensive an undertaking if it has to be done.
    And now for something completely different....

works great... recently upgraded from an older Jet 1.5HP with pourous bags to the latest version from HF. For $140, don't even think twice. It is well worth it. Upgades are planned for mine, especially the baffle, but for now it is plumbed into my system and works great. I have not measure the amp draw but it definitely surges upon startup as woudl be expected. I'm on a 20 amp circuit without an issue.

$140 well spent.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    And I have heard of various people upgrading to a canister on the HF collector. Though I don't know if they are using the grizzly one or one from somewhere else. I believe it was somewhere else. But I'm sure there is somebody here who knows which of them fit.
    I have seen a lot of people using the 35A spun bond polyester cartridge from Wynn Environmental. 35A100SBOL is the part number and they sell for $147. I am getting ready to order one myself after I figure out where my leak is. I'm getting sawdust around the impeller housing so it's seeping out of somewhere. Mine was drawing 18A on startup and I've had no problems on a dedicated 20A breaker.

I've also not measured the amps it pulls, but thought I might add some practical experience. My entire garage (lights and 5 outlets) are on a single 15A breaker , and I don't yet have 220 run to it. Since I added the HF dust collector a few weeks ago, I have run it with any one of my tools (miter saw, band saw, little benchtop table saw, 6" jointer) with little issue. The only time I have thrown the breaker was when face jointing a 6" piece of hard maple. It definitely surges on startup, and my lights dim. So I always let the DC get up to speed, then fire up the tool. With the big tools wired for 220 (as mine will be hopefully very soon), you should have no problems.

One other recommendation. When I bought the DC, I also picked up the HF remote control starter. I think it was like $7, and it works very well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Lee

I too am a recent owner of the HF dust collector with the Rockler slinky hose. I don't have anything to compare it to because this is the only one that I have ever known. But it seems to work great. Runs nice and strong my lights dim in the garage when I turn it on, and I can't run my table saw and dust collector from the same breaker when ripping a long piece. Luckly I have 2 breakers that go to the garage.

If was a great purchase.

-D
    Not allowed

I have one w/the Wynn cartridge. I wanted to use one of the wireless remotes, and measured the running amperage at 13 amps. I used one of the 1.5 HP (12 A) rated remotes and haven't had any trouble with it. I do have it on a dedicated 20A circuit at the moment.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here