Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

Blog Entries
    I have one that's 2-3 years old with absolutely no problems. I upgraded to the Wynn filter & put a Rockler hose on it, works great & at that price it's a bargain. I also bought a remote for it, very handy, I'd suggest you might want to do the same
    Dennis

Someone recently notes that the "old" version was rated at 14 amps, the new one at 20.

I'm a bit skeptical that they really upped the motor - just "re-rated" it, very optimistically.

Saw one at HF last week - the felt bags are also probably optimistic for 5 micron but certainly better than the canvas bags.

BTW I have a PDF of the HF coup for this, if you want it, PM me with your email

Yitah
    "The will to achieve is nothing without the will to prepare" Juma Ikangaa

Has anyone seen a DIY for adding a paddle to the Wynn Filter? I am going to pick up a HF DC tomorrow and want to get started on modding it asap.

I found this on the Wynn site, http://www.wynnenv.com/paddle_cleaner.htm

When I upgrade my HF dc I will add this too it.

I have had this DC for about 4 months, works fine for me but I have done some upgrades. I have done the Thien seperator, stove pipe mod, Wynn filter and converted it to use 6" pipe. I have about 30' of 6" pipe hooked up to it with a single 90* bend and it SUCKS (in a good way...)!

Just curious Ben - did you modify the "Stovepipe portion" (section between the impeller and the piece with the Thien separator) to be 6'' as well, or is that still at the stock 5''?
    If you did upgrade to the 6'' - how??
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobbs View Post
    Someone recently notes that the "old" version was rated at 14 amps, the new one at 20.
    The one I have is 4 years old and the manual that shipped with it is dated May 2003. It is rated at 20 amps peak, 2HP.

I came across the motor and base for 18 dollars online and bought it and same here that I have nothing to compare it to except the shop vac but I here it does ok but that it is not 2 hp. more like 1.5. but that for the money it is pretty tight. I am really thinking of making my own filter frame and use a filter type insert for this and using a yardbag at the bottom. If anyone else has done any setup like this I would surely like the input. If I were to use replaceable filter inserts would they clog up to fast, or ??? what I mean by filter inserts is like a filter a person would use on there house air system.

9. Lee,
    Would you happem to have a link oto or part number on the remote you are using?

Aaron
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bidwell View Post
    I've also not measured the amps it pulls, but thought I might add some practical experience. My entire garage (lights and 5 outlets) are on a single 15A breaker , and I don't yet have 220 run to it. Since I added the HF dust collector a few weeks ago, I have run it with any one of my tools (miter saw, band saw, little benchtop table saw, 6" jointer) with little issue. The only time I have thrown the breaker was when face jointing a 6" piece of hard maple. It definitely surges on startup, and my lights dim. So I always let the DC get up to speed, then fire up the tool. With the big tools wired for 220 (as mine will be hopefully very soon), you should have no problems.

One other recommendation. When I bought the DC, I also picked up the HF remote control starter. I think it was like $7, and it works very well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Varmette View Post
    Lee,
    Would you happem to have a link oto or part number on the remote you are using?

Aaron

Hey Aaron. It's this one:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubCategoryName=

My HF stocks it on the racks near the DC.

Lee

I've been using this unit for nearly two years now. Never tripped a breaker with TS, Jointer and DC all on at the same time. I'll have to check if it's a 15 or 20 amp breaker for the DC unit. I think 20. I got their remote for it when I got the DC unit. I have a 55 gallon home made separator. I'm a happy camper. For $140, can't beat it. If it ever dies, I'll get another one.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb G View Post
    I currently use my shop vac for dust collection. I'm looking at purchasing the Harbor Freight DC. It's rated for 1550 CFM at 20 amps.

Does anyone know if it really is 20 amps? If you have one, how does it work for you? I have a coupon to purchase it for about $140. I do have 20 amp circuits in my shop.
    I run mine on a 15 amp circuit. Never a problem, unless I mistakenly plug in a space heater on the same line.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    I have had this DC for about 4 months, works fine for me but I have done some upgrades. I have done the Thien seperator, stove pipe mod, Wynn filter and converted it to use 6" pipe. I have about 30' of 6" pipe hooked up to it with a single 90* bend and it SUCKS (in a good way...)!

Nice keezer in the backround! As a homebrewer who's currently building one, I couldn't help commenting.

I have this unit. Outfitted it with a Wynn Environmental cartridge filter and a 10' x 5" flex house that I also got from Wynn Environmental.

The first filter I recieved from Wynn was slightly damaged in shipping. It may have been serviceable but the gal I talked to at Wynn said they would send another filter. Several days later I received another filter and install kit. No additional charges. Wow.

I also ditched the OE power cord and installed a 15' 12 AWG cord so I can put this unit anywhere I want in my shop without using an extension cord or hogging any outlets. Although when I wired up my shop I put double ganged duplex outlets about every two to three feet on two separate circuits.

For a weekend warrior on a tight budget this unit offers excellent value. Even after considering the Wynn filter upgrade. If you want to take this unit 'over the top' search this site for the 'Thien baffle'. But be warned, it's a slippery slope.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

It's coming up at $249, not $140? Rockler is selling the Jet Dc-500 for $100 on black friday.Anyone have one?