Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Carl McGaug View Post
    It's coming up at $249, not $140? Rockler is selling the Jet Dc-500 for $100 on black friday.Anyone have one?
    It routinely goes on sale for $179, which combined with one of the 20% off coupons comes to $144. I think mine came to just under $160 with tax.

Can this be wired for 220V?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    Can this be wired for 220V?
    Nope

(Ten character post minimum? But I dont...oh, there we go)
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's coming up at $249, not $140? Rockler is selling the Jet Dc-500 for $100 on black friday.Anyone have one?
    Carl, There is a coupon in WOOD magazine, issue 193, October 2009, page 77
    for the HF DC item #97869, at $139.99, offer ends Dec. 25, 2009.
    Also in issue 194, November 2009, page 77, $139.99, offer ends Feb. 6, 2010.

Like Steve, I measured the running amperage at 13 amps and on a dedicated 20A circuit.
    I also upgraded to the Wynn cartridge.

And like Ben, I replaced the 5" rigid tube with 5" stove pipe. Thien seperator is next.

My switch went bad while it was running. I use a remote control so it's always "ON".
    I opened the switch and saw a copper clip had moved. Put it back in place and works find.
    If I was still under warranty, I would have called HF and said,
    "the switch is frozen, can not move it at all and the DC does not get power"
    and want a replacement, just to have when it happens again.

Thanks Robert.My local newsstands are out of Nov.Maybe it'll be in Dec.I found the pdf but it has disclaimers for duplication.

Carl, I have all the WOOD issues from day one (1985) and have never cut a page but,
    if I can save you $$'s and all it cost me is a stamp, I will.
    I'll cut which ever issue you want and send you the page..
    PM is you want it with address and it will be on it's way.
    One woodworker to another. That's what we do here.

Thanks for the generous offer.Let me try to find one locally.If I can't, I'll take you up on it.

I am sure this has been covered already... But I just had to chime in...

I too have the HF #97869, and mine is fitted with the Wynn 35A Spun Bond canister filter.

I fitted mine with a Thien baffle in the inlet ring to help keep the filter clean longer, after the first chunk got sucked in and sounded like a shotgun going off in my shop as it hit the impeller, I opted to go with a pre separator.

I have not had any sort of problem running the DC on a shared 20A circuit with any of my other tools.

The only dust leakage I found was where the lower bag meets the inlet ring. A strip of foam weatherstripping between the ring and the bag sealed that up nicely. This is common on this type of unit. Don't blame HF for that...

The CFM restriction won't be the DC itself, but the 4" line... But I must say, adding the Wynn filter really did wake it up.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    I have had this DC for about 4 months, works fine for me but I have done some upgrades. I have done the Thien seperator, stove pipe mod, Wynn filter and converted it to use 6" pipe. I have about 30' of 6" pipe hooked up to it with a single 90* bend and it SUCKS (in a good way...)!
    I have been considering the stovepipe mod, and upgrading to 6". Do you have any problems caused by the stovepipe being 5", and the use of 6" inlet to the impeller?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

You can order it from Wood for about $11

Thanks for the generous offer.Let me try to find one locally.If I can't, I'll take you up on it.
    Carl, my local Lowe's still has the Oct issue in their magazine rack.

Thanks Josh.Found it there.

Also, FWIW:

If anyone lives near enough to a Grizzly to travel there rather than having it shipped (though shipping is just $10 it appears), Griz does have a canister that SHOULD fit the HF collector:

http://grizzly.com/products/Extra-Ca...48-G0562/H5783

According to this guy on amazon, it fits the HF collector just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5783-...DateDescending

However, he claims that the collector is 2 micron and not the 1 micron that Grizzly claims here:

http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Can...ollector/G0548

I'm not sure of the real answer, but I'll ask next time I'm in Grizzly. The price of $170 is more than the paper Wynn 35A. But with shipping added to the Wynn the prices are comparable and the grizz comes with a cleaner/beater thing. With shipping added to both, the grizz is pretty much the same price as the wynn polyester. Perhaps even a bit cheaper depending on where you are shipping to (or if you can pick up the grizz).
    Last edited by Josh Reet; 11-25-2009 at 6:24 PM. Reason: added shipping/price info

Thanks Josh.Found it there.
    Glad to help.

As you see by my questions I have no experience with DC's.Are those canisters so much better that they justify a $170 price tag?