Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Harbor Freight 2 HP Dust Collector

Harbor Frieght Dust Collector Power Specs

I just picked up the same model the other day and here are the power specs on its first run as measured with a P3 Kill a watt EZ.

A couple of general notes: Appliances and tools with DC motors will almost always show an amp draw that is the "Peak" amps that the motor uses on startup to get the motor running from a dead start. The peak start up amps are usually significantly higher (sometimes double) than what the "continuous running" amp draw is as you can see below. Also the peak startup amp draw only lasts for about half a second, which is why some of the switches that plug into your table saw and dust collector gives a slight delay so you don't pop a circuit breaker.
    As far as the 2 hp rating that is about as subjective as mega pixels or miles per gallon and is really being used as more a marketing figure. If the manufactures used the peak amp draw to calculate HP then what do you really get when the actual runtime amp is half. Kind of like a car manufacture calculating MPG with a car in neutral going downhill with a 50mph tailwind.

***Harbor Freight "Central Machinery" 2HP Dust Collector Model #97869
    ***New unit measured alone on its initial run without being hooked up to any ducting system or tool stations

- Startup amps = 23.67
    - Continuous running amps with both caps open = 11.58amp - 11.60amp
    - Continuous running amps with one cap closed = 10.93amp - 10.96amp

- Continuous draw Watts
    - Both caps open= 859watt - 868watt
    - One cap closed = 952watt - 958watt

Note the increase in amps with both caps open as the motor works harder probably due to increased drag on the fan blades from the extra volume of air. I'll also measure the power draw once I get it fully hooked up to my ducting and with it digesting debris from a table saw.

Here are the estimated cost of the units "continuous" operation based on its Kilowatt hour consumption and my estimated local utility rate per Kilowatt hour (your consumption will differ based on your local rates but should be pretty close)

- Yearly $708
    - Monthly $58.60
    - Weekly $13.72
    - Daily $1.96
    - Hourly $0.08

One thing I’m interested in seeing is how the amp draw changes over time as the brushes in this motor starts to wear out. As those brushes wear out I’m sure you will gradually see those amps creep up as the motor become increasingly inefficient. If anyone has a unit that is a few years old and has a lot of runtime on the motor and picks up a kill a watt device I’d be interested to see the numbers. Even if it was another manufactures setup.

Also to all the people who like to argue about numbers for the sake of arguing. Take this for what it is and what its worth. I only just signed onto this particular forum because I was looking for the same info before I bought my unit and could not find it. You guys had some other good info on this model and Bob G. had already asked the same question so I’m just trying to be a sport and post the info I got from mine.
    In reality you could probably pull two identical motors off the same assembly line and they would have separate figures but should be close enough for general comparison.

Thanks Much,

John

Thanks for the comprehensive post John.

If you guys are looking for the Harbor Freight coupons, Slickdeals forums has a complete online list of the available coupons (so you can print them out) avalable from any magazine or newspaper. Sorry but can't post a link to it due to TOS...

Little late on this but

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    I think they are over in Warminster, PA - which is an 1-1/2 hours away from Lancaster. (note area code and zip) May not make a difference in shipping, but just in case you were local and thinking of picking it up.

Just FYI, Wes
    Wynn's offices are in Warwick, up the road from Warminster. The filters come from a warehouse in the Lancaster area. I picked mine up there (and got some Wilburbuds at the same time for SWMBO).

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    And I have heard of various people upgrading to a canister on the HF collector. Though I don't know if they are using the grizzly one or one from somewhere else. I believe it was somewhere else. But I'm sure there is somebody here who knows which of them fit.
    I upgraded to the grizzly cannister. It fit perfectly without issue or need to modify. I love the job it does for me.

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    sorry this is so big. just print out this coupon and HF will take it. you might want to resize it though

So if you print this out in color and resize, you should NOT have to buy the WOOD magazine correct? They should take this? If they ask do you just tell them its an email coupon?

yeah should be good to go. my HF always has teenage girls at the register, they never even look at the coupons when i use them. they just scan it and put it in a drawer

sorry the coupon isnt straight, i was in a hurry when i scanned it in

Long time lurker, occasional poster....

I'm about to purchase the HF DC too. I was wondering what would be the ideal setup regarding piping. Is 6" too big? 4" too small? What would be ideal?

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for the coupon scan. I took it into HF in Parkville MD this morning and picked up the DC for the $139. I reduced the scan and printed it out, despite the reduction the bar code would not read at the register, the kid that was working the register paged for a "manager for a price reduction" The manager came up and without looking at the coupon punched in her code and I was on my way with what I consider a great deal. Now to spend twice that on a canister and accessories .
    I guess being a new creeker is like American Express, "Membership has its
    privileges
    "

Welcome, Trevor. Nice to see locals join. I haven't been to that HF...didn't realize it was there. Must not be too far from the Woodcraft, huh...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Yes Mike, it is about a mile away, That was the first time I had been in there, found it because it is next to the MVA. As my wallet will attest I have been to the Woodcraft more than once, nice friendly folks in that one.