Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

Has anyone used these plans for building a Maloof style rocker?

http://www.charlesbrockchairmaker.com/

I haven't started the rocker, but I did purchase the dvd and plans. They really look understandable, with the combination of the dvd and small book. I had already purchased a book and plans for about double the cost of this one, but changed over to Charles Brock because I really like the flow of the arms and rockers much better. I'm thinking about flying in for the 2 day seminar, but have not fully decided on that yet as I'm not sure the cost/benefit is there. If you get it, good luck, and keep us up to date on your "venture". I still have a corner cabinet to build my wife before I tackle the four rockers I have planned (one for me - a prototype, and one for each one of my boys).

Thanks, Don. Man, gotta love this forum!
    The Hal Taylor plan gets excellent reviews, and is reputed to be more 'sittable' than other Maloof type rockers.

I too, though, like the look of the Brock design marginally more, though. But it's like saying one prefers a BMW over a Mercedes. I saw this thread and just about smacked my jaw on the floor.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=rocking+chair

I too bought the plans

I bought the plans and DVD and while I haven't started, I watched the DVD twice. It is well done and explains a lot of the mysteries of building such a chair. I hope to actually build it one day.

Sweaty Palmed Gloat?

I just received my Brock plans today. Yahoo and Yikes! I'm in way over my head. I feel like I'm about the bungee off a bridge.

Will post pix as I progress (surely slowly) on this journey...

Shawn, I took a class with Chuck last weekend and also hope to start the chair soon (if I get any free shop time). The plans and DVD are good and I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Ben

Check out Scott Morrison's website -- www.finewoodworker.com. He sells a great set of plans along with a dvd detailing every step of the process (I mean every step). He has plans for a couple of rockers now along with some of his other creations (check those out as well, they are nice) coming in the future. On top of that he is a real nice guy. I'm not affiliated in anyway, just a happy customer and thought I could pass this along to anyone looking to create a Maloof inspired rocker.

How many board feet does the rocker take?

Just counting that part of the costs as well as the time.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, this one takes between 40 and 50 bf, all 8/4 stock. The headrest and arms are ideally 10/4. Don't forget all the little tools you might want to invest in like tenon cutters, rasps, scrapers, cutting wheels for an angle grinder.

So if I don't have $1,000 and 250 hours, don't get started, right?

The 250 hours is based on Sam Maloof saying there are 200 - 250 hours in each rocker, based on highly skilled workers that have been doing the same thing for decades.

I can picture buying the wood and tools over time to prepare, and then devoting a heck of a lot of trips to the shop.

Brian

I guess you can look at it like that... I look at it like this:

I'm planning to take a YEAR to do this in fits and spurts.

I can get my walnut for about $300 for the bundle.

The tools and gizmos can be bought as needed.

The project is neatly organized into sections. Each looks to be eminently gratifying in its own right. I am sure I'll have more than 250 hours in it, with way more trips to the shop, but that was part of the allure.

It's a mountain, but I'm choosing to think about the steps one at a time... Ok enough jibbajabba: Time to build me a 'saddle'!

Hey Shawn,

I'm getting more and more inspired. I just don't want to fool myself on the way in. I also have to ask myself if I am advanced enough to do this or should I do other projects to learn more of the skills along the way.

Are you going for walnut on yours?

Brian

Yup, I'm going walnut.

Not sure which plans yr contemplating, but as for the Brock plans, I can say that they're very well written and clearly marked and the video's great. I think all the 'kits' pretty much excellently put together by stand-up guys who are generous with their support.

As for skills, the hardest part appears to be the design. There's a little bit of every tool here: tablesaw work, lots of bandsaw work, lathe work on the front 2 legs, and a lot of hand tapering and smoothing, bent lamination for the rockers.

Maloof Rocker

Best design approach I've seen to a Maloof rocker (other than sams) is made by William Ng. Here's a link to his site (I'm not affiliated):

http://www.wnwoodworks.com/

$1300 for a 7 day class (including wood) and you leave with a chair. I took his Blacker House chair class, which he says is the most difficult class he gives. He says the Maloof rocker isn't as difficult, but does require a lot more time than the Blacker chair after the class is over. When you leave, you still have a ton of sanding and some rasp work still to do. Not really cost effective to make it a 10-14 day class when you'd only be sanding the last week days. You can do that at home for free.

Excellent class and instruction. Willam's genious is his ability to take complicated designs and build prototypes and eventually a final design and associated templates and to make it manageable for woodworkers with modest skills.

I just may take this class next year.

Regards,

John

Shawn,
    I too have decided on Mr. Brocks plans to build my chair in the near future. Would you keep us posted as you progress with your project? thanks!