Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

I am curious whether the Brock plans use the 5° offset router bits for attaching the back legs. Since they are about $100 for 2 joints, some of the chair makers might want to share their use.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well I decided on the Charles Brock chair and have just ordered the plans. I have agonized for awhile between the Hal Taylor, Scott Morrison and Charles Brock chairs. I especially like the top of the back of Mr. Brocks' chair and that was the deciding factor. I hope to begin in January after knee surgery and my goal is if I do a good enough job to enter it into the NC state fair next October. Very wishful thinking but hey you have to have goals right?

Y'all talked me into it. I ordered my Brock plans today.

I checked at my local lumber yard (Reel Lumber). They have 8/4 walnut for $8.40 / bf and 8/4 Maple for $4.25.

I may go with maple because of my recent reaction to some walnut sawdust. The only drawback is that Reel lumber only has curly maple and birds-eye maple in 4/4.

Is there a good online source (or Southern California) for 8/4 curly or birds-eye maple? Of course I won't buy anything until I've spent some quality time with the plans.

Brian

Minor gloat

Got about 50bf of walnut for $270 - 40bf was 8/4, 10 of it was 12/4.

Booyah!

The only bad part was driving away from Boards N Beams with all that wood in my Honda Accord. The guys were laughing at me. What a maroon!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Got about 50bf of walnut for $270 - 40bf was 8/4, 10 of it was 12/4.

Booyah!

The only bad part was driving away from Boards N Beams with all that wood in my Honda Accord. The guys were laughing at me. What a maroon!
    That's why the back seat folds down and the trunk opens up!

Congratulations on the walnut and the price!

Brian

Maple

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Is there a good online source (or Southern California) for 8/4 curly or birds-eye maple? Of course I won't buy anything until I've spent some quality time with the plans.

Brian
    You might try Cut-N-Dried in Solana Beach. Also, have you tried Petermans? If anyone in the IE would have it, it'd be them. If they don't stock it, I'm sure they can get it for you and probably in the rough if you wanted.

Cherokee in Upland can probably get it too as I doubt they carry it. A quick call to each would probably get answers.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    You might try Cut-N-Dried in Solana Beach. Also, have you tried Petermans? If anyone in the IE would have it, it'd be them. If they don't stock it, I'm sure they can get it for you and probably in the rough if you wanted.

Cherokee in Upland can probably get it too as I doubt they carry it. A quick call to each would probably get answers.

Regards,

John

Thank you for the leads, John. I hope this wind is blowing all of the smog away from Fontucky!

Brian

I just called Peterman and they do carry it. Their stock is light at the moment, but I'm getting information today, not buying today.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 11-25-2009 at 3:06 PM.

Good luck guys. That looks like it will be a fun and challenging project. After I hone my skills, I think I might give a Maloof style rocker a go. I would love to see a blow by blow account of how you build your chair.

I have read many chair builders compare their plans or rockers to Sam's. They claim theirs are more comfortable. Don't believe it. I sat in a few of Sam's chairs at his house and they are very comfortable. We all try to build chairs like Sam's in some way or another. The chairs I build are similiar but the arms have a twist and the front legs are contoured instead of turned. Don't be afraid to try something different or even one of these chairs. They will take 175 to 200 hrs to finish. 60% or more is hand work and shaping. I would suggest a class if possible and the budget allows. Plans are only a small part of the process. Templates take many hours to build and get right. I spent 2 weeks, 9 plus hrs a day learning how to make one of these chairs and still had many hours of sanding, shaping and finishing to complete. But...........when all said and done, it was the best thing I have made to date. I have made chairs for clients and like Sam, will help anyone interested in building their own as he would and did. I just started a blog and will try to get more info posted in the future. You will need 60 to 70 bf of 8/4 material per chair. This will give you a little more selection for picking the best pcs for each part. Don't under order trying to save on lumber as using the best will make your chair really stand out. Buy some poplar to use as test pieces. Walnut and cherry both make beautiful chairs. The 5 degree router bits make the joints easier to cut but you can do without, just more layout required or a wedge added to the back leg blank. I don't like the added wedge pc. Good luck and give it a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope that this isn't a threadjack because it looks like it has run it's course, but I looked at Scott Morrison's website, and there is some really gorgeous, and more importantly unique, stuff there. Scott, I am interested in how you form the rails on some of your work like the cradle for example. Are these bent, laminated or some other technique?

I built the Hal Taylor rocker out of Walnut. I also tracked my time and I had a total of 80.5 hours in the chair. I consider myself an intermediate skill woodworker.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=rocking+chair

There is nothing hard about building one with plans...it's just time consuming as there are some steps that have to be kept in sequence. The plans I had from Hal did not include a DVD, which he has now. They were the written instructions with many photographs demonstrating the processes.

I recently procured some 8/4 Bois d'Arc that I plan to use on my next rocker...a commission. It should be a fun build.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 11-28-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added link
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Cody, did that 80 hours include making the jigs and templates? How many hours will the next one take?

Richard
    Richard

Cody, your chair is beautiful in every way. Any tips to share?

Charles Brock recommends a carbide kutzall donut wheel to scoop the chair. Perhaps that'd be faster than using an inshave as you suggest you'll do next time...?

Has anyone here used the carbide kutzall donut? Cody, you mentioned the cloud of sawdust with and angle grinder and 36 sandpaper.

The inshave sounds attractive, even if slower, if it will work as accurately. I have this backwards, though, since I already invested in the angle grinder specifically for this project.

Brian

I just bought my carbide donut from Woodcarvers' Supply (has not arrived yet). WCS has the kutzall and a nonbranded carbide donut wheel for $12 less. The sales assoc assured me there's little difference between the two.

Woodcraft has a great deal on the FINE wheels, bkz they're clearing them out. THere are only 4 left. However, Charles says the extra coarse is the way to go. Woodcraft has none left of those.

Brian, I hope you have a decent bandsaw. I'm seeing the limitations of my 14". I'm not sure how I'm going to cut the headrest, since i don't have a riser...Probably will have to just grind it out anglegrinder-style...