Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

Getting read for the final laps

Four coats into the finish. I sanded to 400, then used the 3M finish pads through superfine. Padded on and wiped off 4 layers of Maloof Oil / Varnish. I buffed again with 3M superfine before the last coat to get rid of extra surface buildup. I think this is where I want it before I start the Oil / wax coats. I am trying to fill in the grain without trying to close the larger pores that are part of the character of Padauk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Magnificent. What a great color. You really know how to pick it.

Brian,
    That looks fantastic! I'm still dreaming of the day I'll be able to put finish on mine. I still have two more spindles to shape, and then the rockers to add.
    041611_03.jpg
    Follow my build at - http://nwrocker.blogspot.com

I love the grain, Tom. Wonderful job. Your transitions from the inside of the arms to the back are beautiful in the details. What fun.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm thinking of attempting a Maloof Rocker and was wondering what happened to the chairs discussed on this thread. Seems the work was just about to get underway with several people and then the thread just died. Did some of you have problems and give up on the rockers? I would be interesting in hearing what problems you had and seeing some pictures of the finished chairs.

Pardon me guys. I didn't see the "more replies below current depth" and am now into the "rest of the story". Please excuse my ignorance.

Hi Dan,
    I finished mine last winter while following this thread. There are many good tips here that you will not notice until you start your project. I think the most common is the spindles; that was surely mine. I noticed that everyone was breaking theirs, so I decided to laminate mine around a form. The laminations were too think and I could not find a glue that would hold it. I gave up on that and went back to the original design. I, of course, broke a couple of those also. The plan; make some extras.

I also had problems with the tenon maker indicated in most of the common plans. I made my own from a piece of scrap wood and an old saw blade.

The rest of the project was pretty simple, Just take your time and think through the process. Unless you're retired plan on spending several months.

Ask plenty of questions while you're working on it. You'll get plenty of help here.

8. Try Austin Hardware in Santa Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Y'all talked me into it. I ordered my Brock plans today.

I checked at my local lumber yard (Reel Lumber). They have 8/4 walnut for $8.40 / bf and 8/4 Maple for $4.25.

I may go with maple because of my recent reaction to some walnut sawdust. The only drawback is that Reel lumber only has curly maple and birds-eye maple in 4/4.

Is there a good online source (or Southern California) for 8/4 curly or birds-eye maple? Of course I won't buy anything until I've spent some quality time with the plans.

Brian