Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Maloof Inspired Rocker Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    From Charles Brock website:
    Grinder is used with a Kutzall (blue) donut shaped cutter to shape the saddle after glue up.

Though his plans say "coarse", the blue is "fine".

Brian
    Brian, I'd go with the blue. That's the one I have and used to shape chair crest rails. When you open the package and look at it close, you're likely to have the same reaction I did. "This is a FINE grit?!?!?"

The carbide teeth are like stilleto's and very sharp. If I were to mentally compare it to sandpaper, I'd rate it a 20 grit.

When it get's to spinning though, it'll hog off WAY more wood than you want if you're not careful. The nice thing is the teeth are tall, but farily narrow and there are a lot of them. If you take very shallow passes, you can leave behind a fairly smooth surface.

Don't forget that you need to follow this up with a scorp, rasp, spokeshave (I recommend LV's), or sandpaper. The finer surface finish you can get with the Kutzall the better. Makes for less sanding later.

Get the blue. You won't need anything else.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    Brian, I'd go with the blue.
    Shucks; wish I'da read this sooner. Brian, Woodcraft is having a free shipping promo right now. Also with the purchase of any item $20+, you get $10 off at checkout.

shaped front legs

Shawn,

I do have pics. I also started a chair building blog last fall and then got busy with another chair and a guitar build so I'm a bit behind on posting. I finished my projects and will make a serious restart again. I started the chair blog with making the "headrest". Someone asked how I make the 4 pc headrest so that's why I started with that process. I can continue the posting with the front legs build next. It's a bit out of sequence but that's ok. I usually do the front and back legs the same time to same on tablesaw and router setups. My blog. Keep in mind, I'm a woodworker and not a blog expert.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-10-2009 at 6:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I believe that might be a type-o. He's told me that the extra coarse is the way to go. I have my seat blank glued up. My wheel came today in the mail. I'm gonna make some dust after work tomorrow. Will post pix if it looks good.
    Please post pix even if it does not look good. It will make us feel better.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Progress pix

Here's a progress pic. My forearm is sore from that carbide grinding wheel. It's easy to grind out too much, so I'm breaking tonite to assess progress.

The xtra coarse wheel is great. It didn't load up one bit. It took about 30 mins to do this much. The control is excellent, once you get the feel of it (all of 10 seconds).

Unlike any metal cutting or polishing I've done, there's no sparks to contend with, and no skipping. No grabbing or digging in - unless you want it to.

I did it outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Shawn. Beautiful grain. Thank you for writing how long it took. It's good to know what is supposed to go quickly and what to expect to take many hours.

Brian

Shawn, I agree with Brian about the beautiful grain. thanks for sharing the progress and I am looking forward to more pictures.
    Ben

I use the red and then the grey Kutzall wheels for my rockers.
    Sure beats that death-dealing Lancelot wheel...whew

I like the grain as well. In your progress reports, I would be interested in how the original 40 bf of 8/4 and the 10 bf of 12/4 is working out. Were you able to select the width and length of stock, or did you just order by the bf?

Hey, I was just wondering, is it spelled "Paduak" or "Padauk"?

Brian

Chair

I just pick up this thread, and have always wanted to build a rocker.I purchase just some soft mable about couple of yrs ago and put it off cause I just could not afford the money for the Hal Taylor or Robert Hensarling plans.300 plus was out of my budget by a long shot.Now,the Brock and the Morrison plans w/dvd is in my budget and you guys have started the madness again.Shawn,start a new thread and you guys that have the plans and have started,post some pics.Santa will bring me Morrison or Brock plans at Christmas.Thanks for the links to their websites----Carroll

Carroll,

I'm getting excited about all of the woodworkers on the Creek who are gearing up to build. I'll be glad to follow your progress and we can learn from each others mistakes and successes.

Brian

And by the way, not that it has anything with a rocker project, but does "Padauk" rhyme with "book" or "kook" or "gawk" or "Auk"-land (in New Zealand)?

Padauk for my future rocker

I picked up a beautiful Padauk board today for my rocker. I was very surprised that it was only $5.80 bf. The big board is about 11" x 13' . There are two other boards from the same tree that are set aside, 13' long x 7" wide. All 8/4 (no 10/4 or 12/4 available).

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (78.0 KB, 260 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.5 KB, 160 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (44.0 KB, 109 views)

Nice stuff. Boy you are gonna have fun playing with that!
    I think it's pronounced 'puh-DOOK'.