Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show Me Your Quilt Stands(Not Racks)

My wife IS the stand for the Suggie! I can't get that thing off of her!

Maybe next summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    Now we need a 13,000 dollar computerized sewing machine to quilt the darn things. Think of the tools we could get for the price of one sewing machine. Phil
    Phil, you weren't paying attention!! She needs a computerized embroidery machine ($9,000) to do the various quilting/embroidery operations AND a long arm quilter that can go anywhere from $5,000 and UP, UP, UP!! Of course, just like our "tools", that is just the beginning. The price I pay for half a truckload of wood, my wife can pay for a bag of fabric she carries easily in one hand!!

Back to the OP question, other than a quilt ladder which typically leans in to a corner, and a shelf application with a rod underneath for hanging the quilt, most all quilt displays I have seen have been like those pictured - and we have been in a BUNCH of quilt shops! (Payback for the numerous trips to woodworking stuff!)

here's one i did for my mother's quilt shop.
    Excuse me, that's 'Quilte Shoppe' =-)
    It's knock down-able, so it packs flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom View Post
    ... I mocked up one like Bill's expecting it to be unstable. Surprisingly it isn't at all. I suppose the wider the stance, the better, but when the weight of the quilt is added, it actually becomes more stable, not less.
    Rick,

I'm glad you brought up the stability factor. I experimented just a little with a simple 'T' assembly with the bottom piece the width of the feet of my proposed design and a single vertical piece equal to the overall height. I could tilt it quite a bit before it got to the point of no return. The overall height is 37"; width at the extreme points of the 'feet' is 13.5".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.