Thread: Small Gloat

Small Gloat

I was talking handsaws and sharpening at the Onrust worksite this summer and a guy I have known casually for a few years overheard me say I was looking for a saw vise. I have one from my FIL but is one really enough ? He said he had one he had never used that I could have. He has been dragging it around in his car for a few months and we finally were in the same place at the same time and I came home with this. It's in pretty good shape except for the clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    I have one of similar design (not Sargent) that also has a clamping problem. I have just used a wedge to make up for the worn part of the mechanism.

Recently bought my second saw vice and use it since it is a better user.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm waiting on Joels

Mine also has a clamping problem but I have a new one on order from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. I guess they are having some difficulties as he had hoped they would be shipping by late October. That ok though because my saws are new and sharp. The new vice will be used to sharpen old extra saws for practice.

Eric

To clarify, the blade clamp is fine. The screw clamp the holds it onto a bench is badly worn.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    To clarify, the blade clamp is fine. The screw clamp the holds it onto a bench is badly worn.
    That should be a little easier to fashion a permanent fix.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

think i have one too..

I picked up one just like that about a month ago, dosen't have any markings on it though, it seems like it'll get the job done till I can get a Disston.