Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Arrived! Akeda BC24 Dovetail Jig

Just Arrived! Akeda BC24 Dovetail Jig

My new Akeda BC24 dovetail jig was just delivered today. Unfortunately, the C-kit that contains all the bits, dust collector and various pin/tail fingers is being shipped separately from Akeda in Canada. So I can't cut any dovetails just yet.
    I have been reading all the reviews on the jig and am very excited to start making some drawers for my next project. I just sold my 24" PC Omnijig, after messing with it just to get it dialed in for one or two drawer boxes. Too much of a headache setting it up.
    The Akeda BC24 came in one compact box; opened it up, no assembly required! It's ready to go as soon as I get the DT bits. The longest part of the assembly was making the plywood base to secure it to my workbench.
    This is an impressive jig; the design is simple and innovative. It's well built of quality materials and the fit and finish is very good. Can't wait to get going with it.
    The only thing I wish is that the base system came with a set of DT/Straight bits, at least for 3/4" material. Would like to have done some test DTs tonight. Hopefully the accessory kit will come soon.
    Here's a couple of pics of the jig, just waiting to rout! When I get a few cuts under my belt, I'll post my impression of the jig.
    IMG_2912.jpg IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg

Keep us updated on how you like it vs. the omni.

Michael,you will love this jig.Easy to use.hope ya got the dust collection.
    have fun.
    Jim

Great jig, I sold a Liegh D3 then bought the BC 24. My first test cuts were for a box to hold all the snap in piece's. Perfect fit first time out. It really is built like a tank, very heavy.
    Enjoy

Looks nice

I spent considerable time on an older PC omnijig, getting it dialed in and making dust collection system for it. I ended up producing some ok dovetails, but I wasn't moved by the whole process. It just didn't feel fun.

I looked at the Akeda, but didn't pull the trigger yet.
    I think I might just use tablesaw cut box joints. I think they'll be faster and certainly stronger.

Definitely let us know how the Akeda does. Please let us know how the dust collection is. I hate working in a mound of sawdust.

Are the akeda bits the only ones that are compatible, or are there other options?

Do you think the C kit is worth the extra $$$ over the B kit?

Akeda BC24

I'm still waiting for the C-kit accessory package. So I can't cut any DTs until it arrives. From reading all the reviews and posts on this jig, I definitely recommend getting the C-kit when you purchase the jig (16 or 24" models). There is a steep discount when the kit is purchased with the jig. I saved over $80 buying them together.
    I think the C-kit is the best value, as it has everything you will need to make all the DT joints for all thicknesses of stock. It also comes with the dust kit, cord wand, oversize/undersize bushings, etc. I don't think I'll need to buy anything else for the jig.
    I got the Akeda bits since they now have the 8 mm shank. Larger and more rigid than 1/4" shanks. I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of their bits, but I'm hoping that they're okay. Whiteside makes a set for the Akeda jigs, but they are 1/4" shanks. They are quality bits (I have a bunch of them, including the DT set for my Incra LS router table). If I find that the Akeda bits are not doing the job, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the Whiteside set.
    Robert, I agree with you that the PC jigs are fussy. As I said, I had the newest 24" Omnijig for a while, but I sold it. Took way too much time to dial it in for a DT cut. I wasted a lot of scrap stock just setting it up for a couple of drawers. I bought it for its versatility, but I think the engineering and quality were a little lacking. The one thing that I thought would be a great feature was the single pass HB dovetails. I made a lot of drawers with this method, and once the jig was set up, I ran through them. But in the end, I didn't like the 'production shop' look of the fixed width DTs it produces using the single pass. If you are a small production shop, it might be the right jig for you. As for the rest of the DT cuts, way too time consuming the get the fit just right. You're right it was not any fun using that jig.
    Just waiting for the postman to ring twice...
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 11-06-2009 at 1:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Michael,

I hope you enjoy the Akeda as much as I do. I have had the BC24 for over a year now and would buy it again.

I have both the Akeda and the Whiteside bits. They have both served me well.

Like James said, I hope you got the dust collection. It works fantastic. Picks up almost everything.

Also, don't forget you can work from both ends of the jig if the project isn't over 12" wide. Pins on one end and tails on the other. If you don't have a second router, get one. I prefer the 1617 Bosch with a D-handle for this jig.

Enjoy your new toy.

Jim

I got my Akeda 10 years ago and it still works fine. When woodcraft stopped carrying the accessories i bought extra bits and the snap in bar so i can keep several projects snapped in place and i use three routers at that point.

I have the Akeda router bits, as well as some Whiteside. The Akeda have been working great so far. The one thing I have noticed when people use DT's is that for some reason they push real hard on the router and bits. If the bits are allowed to cut on their own, without a lot of pressure, even 1/4" bits do well. I have some of the older 1/4" Akeda, as well as the newer 8mm and both do the job very nicely.

I look forward to hearing more about your machine when the parts arrive. Usually the Jig Store ships fast and I get my stuff in about five days.

You will be very very happy with the Akeda!

Maybe somebody here knows the details, but it seems to me that I remember that the Akeda was developed by an associate of Leigh.

Anyhow, I've had the 24 for over a year now and can't say a bad word about it.

Scott in Montana

The owner of Akeda, Kevan Lear, was the designer of the Leigh jig. Then he decided to try his hand at his own machine with an attempt to create a totally new concept in jigs. He wanted to make one that required minimal adjustment and still come out with the best dovetails possible. Another thing he wanted to do was to create a jig that did not require all sorts of templates to work.

I believe he succeeded brilliantly!!!!

For those of you have tried other DT jigs and the Akeda, what are the pros and cons of the Akeda? When I finally do purchase one, I want one that is as user friendly as possible. I'm not interested in a long learning curve and constant fussy setups.

Thanks.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I have the Leigh D4R, an Omnijig and two Akedas. The Akeda is extremely simple to setup and make joints. The learning curve is almost non existant even if you do not use it all the time. The other DT's are very complex and require that you purchase additional templates if you want to make box joints, etc.

With the Akeda you can make through, half blind, sliding dovetail and box joints without any additional templates. It also has the ability to cut different angle dovetails for thinner woods. Available from 7 to 20 degrees, which is nice, because it matches the angle and depth of the joint to the wood thickness.

I don't think there is a better jig out there.

Wow, I feel stupid. It never occurred to me I could use both ends and not be swapping fingers all of the time. Now I just need to get a second dedicated router...

Roger