Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justed started a Merganser kayak

It keeps drips off the hull and I like to draw my pattern on it.

Starting to fill in with pine and paduk. I am going to make a jig for my trim router to keep the opening more even. Bending and fitting the paduk stripes is hard on the fingers. They are bending ok with heat so far.
    I have to start thinking about my combing next. Carbon fiber or wood?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good.

Dont go to all the trouble you have to fit strips to make the nice design, and then go modern with carbon fiber. Wood is the only way to go here, IMHO.

Dazed and confused

I have never built a boat, and the Kayak that I see are those bright colored plastic floaty thingy's and are pointed at both ends. Nothing so graceful as the beauty you are crafting.

I keep thinking I may be missing something. I live within a stones throw (literally) of the bay, on a fantastic river, that empties into one of the most beautiful oceans anywhere. I live on the North Oregon Coast. Yet I have never built a boat. Shameful I know but there it is none the less.

I went to the Shearwater site and those boats with Redstone rockets attached are NOT what you have been posting to say nothing of environmentally damaging. Can someone enlighten me as to the "real" sites to see the plans? You say you are on boat 2 - 3 -4 -5- !? I am trying to finish remodeling the bathroom and that is taking 8 weeks past forever. Are these Kayaks easier to build than it looks or are you just woodcraft wizards?
    Where does one learn of these crafts?
    Phil

The web sight is www.shearwater-boats.com.

Building kayaks comes ease for my self. It all depends on you wood working skills. I have made my share of mistakes, but the great thing about wood is there is so many way to correct it.
    I feel your pain with the bathroom remodels.
    Last year we remodeled ours. Kayak building is way more fun.

My next boat will be one of these - www.redfishkayak.com.

Many other beauties out there as well.

I am already looking at plans for my next build.
    Redfish kayaks spring run or Laughloons fire star?
    So many cool designs and not enough time or money to build them all.

I have built 1 1/2 boats ( daughters kayak in progress ). Plans for both came from
    http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/, check out the workshop pages, I am self taught from those pages and a couple of books. The Strip Built Sea Kayak by Nick Schade and Kayakcraft by Ted Moores
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Tips please

Thanks for the links. My uncle started Wilderness Boats here in Oregon back in the early 1970's. Their canoes were strip cedar and I never understood how they were made just that they were very popular.

I was hoping someone might have a link or two to plans or a kit for building a small rowboat, or dinghy? We have a slew of small lakes loaded with trout and landlocked salmon. I have a photo (somewhere) of me with a 36 lb salmon I caught on a slow rowing troll. I really want to do more, and I'm not in love with the condos on hulls with with twin F16 Falcon jet engines, moving up and down the river. Yes I am bigoted, I hate having the most beautiful scenery in the world disrupted by some idiot that has to cross the 100yd river at mach 2.

Try www.clcboats.com.
    I have build a LT 17 kayak from plans that I purchased from them. Very helpful if you have any questions. Plus they have a forum on there web sight that can be helpful, there are many builders out there that are very helpful if you find your self stuck at any point during your build.

Google "Lumberyard Skiff". This is a good first boat project from the editors of WoodenBoat magazine. Designed for standard lumber yard wood.

Update to my progress. On this part of the kayak I made a router plate for my trim router to keep the opening parallel. I made my saw cuts close to the line and then used my router to open it to 1". So far it work great. So far the hardest part is heating and bending to fit the rolling angle.

I havent update due to the holidays and I had to build a skim board for are local schools auction sale. So my kayak project has been on hold.
    I attached a picture on the skim board that I built, I know its not a boat but they sure are fun to use at the beach.
    Its built with 1/2 plywood center rib with 3/4 foam core. I have 3 layers of 6 oz on the top and 4 layers of 6 oz on the bottom.
    The sharks are from a picture that my kids found in a local store.

Wooden kayaks

Glenn, it's a beautiful strip-built kayak. As you probably have discovered, it's a little unnerving to paddle around rocky shores while in "a piece of fine furniture." Here is a photo of our Pygmies on a month-long trip to Alaska: -Phil Allin

kayaks.jpg

Now that the holidays are over I have some time to get back in the shop.
    Yesterday I in stalled the last stripe. I planed some of the high spots and then used my 6" sander with 50 grit to even the rest. After wetting the deck to raise the grain and even out my 50 grit marks it will be ready to fill cracks and finish sanding out. I hope the fiber glass the deck next week.

Just before the holidays my dewalt sander died. After ready many reviews, I decided on a festool 150/3 with a dust extracter. When I was at the check out I thought I must be nuts speading this much on a sander. But after using it for the last month I am glad that I did. I am amazed at how much faster I can sand and with no dust. The extracter is so quit. Most of my building time is in the morning from 5:00 am to 6:30 am when the rest of the family is a sleep. So the low noise level is a plus.

I was hoping to have this one finished in time for the March 6 Quit water show in Lansing Michigan but I dont think I will make it. Looking like The end of March.