Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Justed started a Merganser kayak

Installled combing lip and rear hatch fiber glass lip over weekend. Tonight I will trim the rear hatch lip down to 3/4" with router guide. Hoping to glass the outside deck to hull seam this weekend. After that its fill coats and sanding. Looks like it should be completed around th first of April.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well after four month of work, its finished. I have a few things to finish. After sanding out to 320, I had a clear coat sprayed on. The finish is unreal. It looks smoother than a car finish. Time will tell how clear coat will hold up compaired to varnish. My son cannot wait to try it out this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful kayak, Glenn, great job! You have inspired me to get back to my daughters kayak.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Wow

I don't venture into this post much but holy cow!! That is very nice. I would be afraid to use it! Great job and very nice craftsmenship.

I know the feeling, There has been some times when I lost the drive and then you see a kayak on top a of car/truck go by and it reinspires the drive to finish your project.

Nice work

Very nice work Glenn.

MK

Well the shops been empty for to long. I started on a Petrel for my youngest son. My plans are to stain this one with a few pin stripes. I have the shear stripes installed and am working on the cheater stripes on the front and rear. I scored agreat deal on some western cedar at Mernards
    $14.00 a board for 1"x6" 20'. These are deck boards. I had to pick the pile for some time. Very few closed knots. I should have purchased more but storage is a problem in my 12'x20' shop. I will work on some picture in the next few days. Tried going out kayaking over the weekend, I only made it about two miles. I live in Michigan and there was to many ice jams. Happy paddling

Looking great, keep the pics coming

Interested in building a Kayak.

About how much did you have invested in your last boat? Don't want to start a project I can't afford to finish.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Glenn - My wife selected the same deck design for her King. Joe Greenley of Redfish Kayaks sold us plans for the King that were reduced to 7/8 of the origninal design. She is 5'1" and it fits her very well. The original concept was for her to build her own kakyak with a "little bit of support". Long story short - the kayak was finished a couple of years ago and she was "very supportive" during the build. The hull went together quickly - not so much wth this deck design. All's well that ends well. She is pleased and proud of her kayak.
    P1010319.JPG
    P1010271.jpg
    P1010291.JPG
    In this photo the hatch is sitting proud. After a few months after launch the gasket compresses allowing a flush fit.

DSCN0732.JPGDave i have never added up my cost for building any of my boats. I purchase fiber glass in large rolls and my cedar any where that i can get a good deal. Sorry I dont have a good answer for you.
    Bruce great looking yak. The funny thing about building is we stew over little things that nobody will ever see. I guess its part of the sickness.
    Im still working on the hull of a Petrel for my son, pulling my hair out on the sharp corner on the bottom. My stripe are not going over the curve on all station at the same time. I just finished a skin on frame Disko bay. What a fun kayak to roll. I think i had about 30 hours into the build.