Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 15-16ft tape measure?

Best 15-16ft tape measure?

I know it sounds silly, but I have tried most of them and can't find one I really like. I do all of my work in a shop, measuring cabinets and shelving.

Just curious if anyone has a strong recommendation.

Thanks,

Roger

Try the Fat Max?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I like the FastCap, either Pro Carpenter, or the Lefty-Righty. I use the Lefty-Righty mostly in the shop. Check Rockler, maybe even Woodcrafters.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

I have the Lefty-Righty (it is actually the one I like the best so far), but it doesn't extend quite as far as I like and it gets bent if you retract the blade quickly, i.e. it comes back so fast it whips around and gets bent.

I also like the pencil sharpener in it.

Roger

You guys may get a kick out of this, but I've been using an old (15y. o.) Lufkin 16 footer daily for 15 years. I replaced the blade a few years ago, but only because I couldn't read it. Never had a bit of trouble, not even with the belt clip.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Mickey

There may be better tape measures out there but I am still happy with my 30 year old Craftsman. The Fat Max is fine as well. Haven't been introduced to the Lefty-Righty yet, will have to check it out on the Net.
    David B

I use and prefer Stanley Power lock tapes. Just got a flyer from McFeelys. They have all of the Fastcap tapes for sale.

I have a 16 foot Starrett. Of all the tapes that I bought over the years, it is still easiest for me to read.

I usually grab for my FastCap lefty/righty first and I also have a Luftkin that I like that I've had forever.

FatMax, FATMAX, FATMAX!

Seriously though, once you use them, you get addicted to the standout ability of the wider/tougher tapes. And the fatmax and fatmax extreme are the class leaders as far as I am concerned.

Now, a 9 or 11 foot standout isn't as important when making stuff in the woodshop as it is when framing or doing other construction. But still, I got addicted to them long ago and I can't really stand to use other tapes.

My favorite tape is the old style Stanley LeverLock: 3/4"x16' for me. For in-the-shop use, a 1" or wider tape is too heavy/clumsy for me, but a 1/2" tape is not stiff enough. I've got a 30' of the same design for projects around the house. I find the LeverLock design (squeeze to extend, release to lock) more intuitive and efficient than a tape that needs to be locked in it's extended position. It looks like Stanley redesigned the LeverLock to a more ergonomic form, I haven't used on it that flavor so I can't comment to it's efficacy.

Whatever tape you end up with, try to use the same one from the start-to-end of individual projects, you'd be surprised how different one tape is from another (even the same make and model).

Blog Entries
    For cabs and shelves I prefer a story stick vs using a tape measure (greater accuracy & repeatability).

The only comment I have on tape measures is........

Make sure you get one with some sort of intelligent case dimension. That way when you're using it for inside measure you won't have to add 3 11/32" to the tape indication.

Come on designers, how difficult can it be to have a 3" or 4" case on a tape?

regards, Rod.

Amen. The old ones had nice one-inch increments. Talk about making things needlessly confusing.

+1 for the Lefty/Righty