Thread: Table saw extension wings

Table saw extension wings

Not too long ago I picked up a Delta contractor saw (36-977) from CL and so far I have been extremely happy with it (heck of an upgrade from my old bench ryobi unit), but I need to replace one of the extension wings and would like to know if there really is a noticable gain from putting in the cast iron ones. The cost doesn't bother me, just want to make sure I'm not wasting money. I am pretty new to using nicer quality tools, when I started wood working a little over a year ago most of my stuff was hand-me-downs and lower quality since I didn't know if I would stick with it. Now that I am really getting into this I have been upgrading things as needed and these stamped wings are starting to irritate. Just about every time I slide the fence back and forth I have to bend them up or down. Is this a sign of previous owner abuse or just the effects of cheap wings?

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

Mike,
    First, are the wings bolted to the fence rails? They should be, and they should be secure enough that you need not move them every time you move the fence. I would say this could be signs of previous abuse if the bolts are missing or the holes have become elongated. Check that out.
    The biggest advantage to cast iron wings is first the weight to dampen vibration, the second, providing a flatter surface than the stamped metal wings. In my opinion, its worth the upgrade, all other things being equal.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

Blog Entries

Smile Warped wings?

I had a Delta contractor's saw for 20? Years--sounds like maybe someone lifted it by the wings a bunch. I'd think about adding on an extension table on one side and perhaps a cast iron wing/router table
    if you have a friend at a body shop you might be able to bend one back, but probably not. Bill

Gerry,
    The wings are mounted to the fence rails, just seems no matter how tight I get them they eventually slide. I don't want to distort the fence rails by hanging on the bolts excessively so I think I'm just going to go through with upgrading the wings. I put a straight edge on the wings I have now and am kicking myself for not doing this sooner, they are horribly tweaked. I really can't believe I didn't do this sooner or catch it when I bought it. Live and learn I guess. While looking at the wings online I found a router table wing from bench dog, now I'm thinking adding one of these with a solid wing to the other side might be a slick setup. I have a home-made router table right now but having 2 can't hurt, right?

That would be an excellent set-up. Sounds like you have a plan...go for it.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

Blog Entries
    My saw has four CI wings on it (one left, three right) but, my old contractor ran MDF/frame tables that were shop made. I did toss a 90# sack of cement wrapped in plastic into the lower shelf of the previous saw to add stability. The extra CI wings on my current rig do the same; add mass.

So, you don't have to have CI wings but I think you will notice the benefit. You will notice benefits with well (shop) made extensions too. The current wing problem has got to be un-enjoyable at best so it sounds like you are on the right track in addressing the situation.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Bill- I asked about the same thing you mentioned at the same time, you just beat me to the post button. Thanks for the input, I think this is the right way to go.

Anyone know if Rockler price-matches? I found the router table-wing on Amazon for a better price but like supporting the local stores. Maybe a 20% off coupon will show up in the mail...

Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My saw has four CI wings on it (one left, three right)
    Not to hijack this thread......

Glenn - do you have a picture of this setup ? I am contemplating doing the same thing. How are you supporting the extra weight on the right side ?

Mike _ I have an extra CI wing from my Delta Contractor saw due to adding a BenchDog. Trade me something for it if you'd like......
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Webbed cast iron wings

I have a grizzly 1023 now but I used to have the 1022 which was their contractor saw. I upgraded it to the case iron wings before I sold it to a buddy. It did not come with stamped wings but rather it came with these cast iron webbed wings. Better than stampe, I think, much heavier but not as good as standard cast iron wings. If any of you guys with the stamped wings want them, you can have 'em for the cost of shipping. They are standard size 27 inches deep and 10 1/4 wide. They weight 20 lbs a piece. They've been sitting in the basement for 4 years maybe. If a creeker can use 'em then great.
    cheers
    pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hess View Post
    Not to hijack this thread......

Glenn - do you have a picture of this setup ? I am contemplating doing the same thing. How are you supporting the extra weight on the right side ?
    Roy, PM sent.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Zabrocki View Post
    I have a grizzly 1023 now but I used to have the 1022 which was their contractor saw. I upgraded it to the case iron wings before I sold it to a buddy. It did not come with stamped wings but rather it came with these cast iron webbed wings. Better than stampe, I think, much heavier but not as good as standard cast iron wings. If any of you guys with the stamped wings want them, you can have 'em for the cost of shipping. They are standard size 27 inches deep and 10 1/4 wide. They weight 20 lbs a piece. They've been sitting in the basement for 4 years maybe. If a creeker can use 'em then great.
    cheers
    pat
    I call those things "finger tip slicers."