Thread: New (sort of) project completed.

New (sort of) project completed.

Actually completed this quite a bit earlier this year, but never posted it.
    I posted a while ago in the "Off topic" section that my other hobby is fishkeeping (really a distant second to woodworking). Anyway, I regular a fishkeeping forum and post some of my woodworking on there also. I was contacted by another forum member and asked to build a stand for a large (225 gallon) aquarium. This is the result.
    Top and bottom are 2 layers of 3/4" oak ply. Edged with 1x3 solid oak. Oak frame and panel doors. The octoganal pillars are a design I had used on another stand I had built, and is made up of 3/4" oak ply as well. The whole thing is stained to the customers preferance and several coats of poly applied. Very very solid and water resistant. The cabinet are will house filters and other equipment. Not a real tough build but getting the 22.5* angles for the pillars exact was a bit tough on my old table saw.

It is just a hair over 6' long, 2' wide, and 30" tall.
    Anyway, I think it turned out great.
    Thanks for looking.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

That is one massively nice stand!

Great looking stand! What kind of fish do you keep?

Ryan, that is a great looking aquarium stand. Do you have a photo with the aquarium on the stand?

Good job, Sam

What fishkeeping forum are you on? I am on the Planted Tank.

Yes, we need a picture of the tank set up on it too. I'm on the Reef Central board quite often. That is a beautiful stand Ryan!! These two hobbies seem to go together well.
    Robbie

Nice stands. The columns are a really eye-pleasing touch.

Very nice stand.. I especially like the way you handled the scoop in the top side over the cab doors.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Great tank

Really nice piece of work. I may be out in the field with this ,but I have done angles on my table saw. I learned in a shop I ran in the Corp that you make a scrape piece of wood with the angle you want then use that to set the blade of the table saw.

Thanks for the replies fellows. Appreciate all the comments.
    Unfortunately the person I build this for lives about 5 hours away, and although I've asked, she has never posted pics with the tank all set up. Here is the best one I have that shows just the tank, but no fish in it yet.
    http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=25937

I mostly regular the Alberta Aquatica site,m but also go on Cyphos.com and Cichlidforum.com.

I keep african cichlids myself and my main tanks are a 180 gallon Tanganykan, and 55 gallon Mbuna tank.
    Here are some video links of my tanks, if your interested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2dkqhj1kOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3cSK8xWXk
    And thats my baby girl beating up her Nemo. She LOVES to watch the fish!

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Cichlids.... Excellent. I love how these hobbies go together.I currently have 20 tanks with cichlids from all over.