Thread: Another new project completed...

Another new project completed...

I built this entertainment stand for a customer recently and just delivered it to him on Saturday. He was very pleased with how it turned out. Dimensions, wood, hardware, finish, was all at his request (of course).
    Solid walnut top and sides, Bottom, shelves, drawer boxes and inside sides are walnut ply with solid walnut edging. My first time doing raised panels and I think they turned out well. Zebrawood for the door panels and drawer fronts.
    The doors are pocket doors and slide back into the carcass. The drawers are "push to open" slides so you don't need handles on them. They are sized to fit a little over 100 DVDs total. The cabinet doors also "push to open", but they're a bit tricky so he's gonna let me know if he wants handles added later.
    All the walnut parts are finished with a good coat of "black walnut" danish oil and then poly. The zebrawood just with poly. The top, sides and doors are rubbed out wuith paste wax and are very very smooth to the touch.
    Hope you like it. Comments welcome as always.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Here's some pics in the customers home. Forgot to bring the good camera with me so the pics ain't great.

Ryan

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Great job contrasting the colors between the zebra and the walnut. Did you do anything special since the cabinet will be sitting in the window sunshine so much?

Ryan, that was some difficult grain in the top, and you did a great job matching it!

Although not my taste on the wood combination, the end result is excellent. Lot of quality work in the design and completion.

Nice carcass work Ryan and good job on your first frame and panel.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

The doors look awsome. What a great job.
    Dan Manning

I love walnut and zebrawood together. IMHO i think it might be the best combo of any two woods. Very nice job on the stand, looks great. Here's some pics of one of my first tables I built. Walnut legs with zebrawwod top and aprons.

Ryan, that is a great looking entertainment center. Good idea leaving the back open so the components can keep cool. How did you apply the finish?

Sam

Thanks guys.
    John Michaels, I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely love walnut and zebrawood together. I've used them a few times now, including an entire bedroom suite for the wife and I (still in progress, so far have the headboard and 1 dresser done.) John Keeton, I gotta say, your far from the norm on this one, everyone seems to like the wood combo.
    A while ago a picked up a beautiful piece of SPALTED zebrawood (ever seen that??), so that will likely be a coffee table top with walnut base one day (soon?).

Sam, nothing special about the finish. Danish oil is sanded in with 400 grit, more applyed to soak in more, then wiped off. Poly is also wiped on.
    Then the paste wax is applied with OOOO steel wool and buffed out. I really gotta get some of the new Toluene free Briwax though, this smelly stuff is killing me.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan Sparreboom; 11-13-2009 at 8:47 AM.

Michael J. Fox