Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie looking for table saw advice

I am in the Bay Area & although I will most likely be ordering a new Grizzly cabinet saw by the end of the year I keep checking craigslist & can let you know if I see what could be a good deal, such as this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/1455792761.html (no affiliation)

It a older craftsman contractor w/ a Biesemeyer fence and router insert ready for $250.00

i have a delta contractor saw i got for 325 with a rolling base. i work in a 10x16 shed that also stores my motorcycle. and i wouldn't hhave even considered a benchtop one. my dad has a couple and every time we use it you have to fight with it. get a biggest used saw you can.

You might want to consider something like the Bosch 4000/4100 worksite/contractor's saw. I've had a 4000 for several years now and have found it to be an excellent saw that is very portable (when "folded" it takes up amazingly little space), does a decent job and holds up well. I've moved mine back and forth between our primary home and weekend home several times as well as to a rental condo we recently remodeled. The new(er) 4100 model has a riving knife and is also available with a digital readout on the fence. This has been a fairly popular saw so I'd guess the chances are fairly good that you might find a "previously-owned" one for sale. If not, Amazon has the 4100-09 version for $599.99. Good luck with your search and welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

Menards and Lowes have lowered the price for these to 549.99 and Lowes is circulating some $25.00 cards through the mail which takes it down to $525.00. Nice saw with superior dust collection compared to a unmodified Contractor model.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Robinson VT View Post
    You might want to consider something like the Bosch 4000/4100 worksite/contractor's saw. I've had a 4000 for several years now and have found it to be an excellent saw that is very portable (when "folded" it takes up amazingly little space), does a decent job and holds up well. I've moved mine back and forth between our primary home and weekend home several times as well as to a rental condo we recently remodeled. The new(er) 4100 model has a riving knife and is also available with a digital readout on the fence. This has been a fairly popular saw so I'd guess the chances are fairly good that you might find a "previously-owned" one for sale. If not, Amazon has the 4100-09 version for $599.99. Good luck with your search and welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking.

Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    ...am currently setting up a small workshop in my garage. I'll be mostly building small things for around the home (frames, small furniture, built-ins) ... Space and budget are an issue, but I'd like something that I can depend on to make accurate cuts for furniture, not just rip lumber.
    Do some research on track saws. There are off the shelf versions available as well as 'use the tools you have' systems. These have replaced tablesaws in many shops including mine. An entry level 'use the tools you have' system can cost less than what you are looking at even before you add the must-have acce$$orie$ for the table saw.

A common cut for me was a 36" panel by 20-30" panel. The 20-30" 'rip' was fairly easy on a table saw, but the crosscut was a little hokey being too far to use the miter gage and awkward with the fence.

Take a serious look at them before you invest in your solution.

-Brian

In a Similar Situation

While I certainly wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from buying a contractor saw, in my case that just wasn't in the cards.

I'm a newbie as well and work in my garage (which is supposed to be used as a garage). I do lot's of construction-type projects, finish the basement, redo a bathroom, etc. But I'm far from a "fine woodworker." I've been moving to finish carpentry. I've made things like a 22 foot long cherry (primarily plywood veneer) built-in in my basement, and other cabinetry. I'm now starting to take a look at furniture.

The thing is that I honestly don't yet know what this hobby will become for me. I'm not yet comfortable with making the investment to rewire the garage for a 3hp saw, or taking the garage over entirely.

So for now I have a (gasp!) ridgid TS2400 portable table saw. I use this in concert with a circular saw and track (Saving up for a Festool TS55) and I've been VERY pleased with my results. I'm impressed with the fence on this modest saw and added a few accessories (zero clearance plates, dado set, sacrificial fences, and dust collection tweaks).

Bear in mind, I work mostly with sheet goods. I'm not sawing 16/4 lumber. Would I like a bigger saw? Sure, but I cant justify they purchase to myself just yet. Well that and I don't have the space.

The fun thing about being this new is with every project my skills improve, I get a sense of my or my tools limitations, and I get a clearer idea of the sorts of projects I want to work on, the skills I want to develop, and the tools I'd like to have.

Now I'm at the point where I think I'd prefer to invest in a nice track saw and keep my modest table saw. I'm finding that in many cases I like the approach where I'm moving the tool and not the work piece. (Ya think this has anything to do with working with sheet goods??) The footprint and flexibility of the track saw approach work for me and what I do.

As I said, I'd love the luxury of having a nicer table saw. But at this point in my hobby I'm very pleased with the money I've spent on a less expensive saw and haven't yet found that its has limited me in any meaningful way. Just an alternate opinion from a newbie.

Have fun with your new purchase!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and insight.

I think I've decided to go for the Bosch 4100-09. With the recent price cut by Lowe's, I'll probably wait until I get a coupon in the mail and pull the trigger. Plus it's easier to deal with a local source in case there's something wrong with the saw out of the box (Amazon would have been my previous first choice for ordering). It's not a cheap saw, but the safety features (esp. riving knife) and the portability/gravity-rise stand are huge plusses. The optional side and outfeed table extensions are fairly inexpensive and look like good additions in the future for cutting sheet goods.

I'm also very pleased to have found out about the GRR-ripper. Being a rookie to table saws and having a healthy respect of most power tools, I'd like to be as safe as possible from the get-go.

Dave - I think our situations are quite close - you make a lot of excellent points. In the future I may look into track saws.

Hmmm, I still haven't mastered the way replies are layered in this forum.

Anyways, I've also come to the realization that a jointer/planer will be an upcoming purchase as well, especially to keep lumber costs down as I get started and no doubt screw up a ton of wood. The Jet 8" combo planer/jointer for around $300 seems like a good option.

Victor,

Not sure if someone already caught this and sorry if I missed it, but the SMC classifieds have some good deals too. Someone just posted a Contractor saw (w/ mobile base) and joiner for $500. (What a great way to get started)

Welcome to the Creek and good luck with your purchase!
    Last edited by Eric Roberge; 11-12-2009 at 7:52 PM.

10. Here's another vote for the Bosch 4100. I just got one a month or two ago and really like it. The stand is great for moving it around easily, and it has more than enough power and accuracy for the jobs you want to do.

I have the Dewalt saw and I'd recommend staying away from it. The system for squaring the blade to the miter slots is crummy and it took me quite a while to square the blade. I ended up having to turn the saw upside down and adjust the "fixed" screws holding the trunnion to the table top. Only then could I create enough play on the adjustment side to square the blade.

Additionally, the adjustment screws are fine threaded and screw into aluminum screw holes. I ended up stripping one of the two screw holes because I had to loosen and retighten the screws so many times while I wrestled with the whole setup.

As someone else mentioned, there is not much distance from the front of the table to the saw blade. If you try to crosscut a board of any width whatsoever, you won't be able to start the cut with the board and miter gauge on the table. This can become very dangerous as you try to balance everything.

Also, there's no wheel to adjust the blade tilt. You have to shove the wheel that adjusts the blade height over to the extreme left to get the blade to 90 degrees. You then have to try to hold it there while you try to negotiate the locking mechanism with your other hand. As you go to lock it in place, the blade usually slips from vertical a bit.

On a positive note, when I got everything adjusted fairly close with my DigiAlign and Wixey angle finder, it made nice cuts with the thin kerf Diablo blade I put on it. Again, this saw will likely cause you more frustration than enjoyment. I'd seriously look at the Ridgid r4511 at your pricepoint.
    Last edited by scott galyon; 11-13-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    I think I've decided to go for the Bosch 4100-09.

I'm also very pleased to have found out about the GRR-ripper. Being a rookie to table saws and having a healthy respect of most power tools, I'd like to be as safe as possible from the get-go.
    Good decisions both and ones that I'm quite certain you're not going to regret. Sure, the Bosch isn't the perfect TS but it's about as close as you're gonna get for that price in a package that you can fold up. lean against the wall and still get your car in the garage as I've been doing for the past few years. Enjoy and post some pics when you've built something with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!