Thread: spray adhesive

spray adhesive

Is it possible to use spray adhesive to temporarily glue two pieces together for, say, gang cutting pieces on a bandsaw, or running small pieces through a planer on a sled?

The stuff works great for paper patterns, and dissolves with spirits, but how would you get the wood pieces apart? Sorry if this is a dumb q; I'm short of doublesided tape, and need a quick fix.

I would get more tape.
    Spray adhesive could be troublesome in taking pieces apart.
    A pin nailer could work also.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Shawn

Most quality spray glues will attach wood surfaces sufficiently for gang cutting on the bandsaw, so long as you only spray one surface of the pieces to be attached, otherwise you'll have trouble getting them apart. I'm not sure about putting them through the planer tho. No harm in putting a test piece thru first.
    Another problem you'll possibly encounter is the removal of glue gunk from the wood surface afterward. Just a thought.

Thanks, Guys. Spritzing the piece with mineral spirits gets all the glue residue. Myk, I think yr right; bite the bullet and get more tape.

Blog Entries
    +1 on more tape. "Quick" fixes generally yield sub-optimal results. In other words; when I take short cuts I sometimes don't like what I've got when I get there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1 on more tape. "Quick" fixes generally yield sub-optimal results. In other words; when I take short cuts I sometimes don't like what I've got when I get there.
    In my experience, most short cuts AREN'T!

Before dbl sided tape, I used to put 3-4 dabs of hot glue on pieces to be ganged cut or sanded. Put near the resulting edges, it would come free with a striking knife. Mineral sprits for the residue.

PS tape is better!

What about using hide glue and heating to get them apart? My experience is that spray adhesive makes a mess.

Shawn,

Brown paper, the kind grocery bags are made from, makes a good intermediate layer that you can glue between two pieces you'll want to separate later. The paper holds fine for your operation but fails when you want it to, when you pry the two pieces apart, and the residue can be cleaned up with a scraper.

Thanks, Everyone. Great tips!!!

Followup: I ended up using the spray adhesive. It worked like a champ. It held fine for the cut and through sanding on the OSS. It actually popped right off when I gently pried them apart with my fingers.

I only gave it a light mist of adhesive.