Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Shop Completed, part 3

A New Shop Completed, part 3

Part 3

And now for the final tour. Here's the outside, with soffit and gutters installed, oddball windows and all:

Machines in place. The trim, in this case a french cleat, is partially done. There are 8 machines in this picture, though some are partially hidden.
    --
    Another view. It's already a mess.

View back toward the garage. More machines and my plane rack. I haven't built the sliding doors yet. These will be pocket doors, mounted on the shop side of the wall. I have some horse stall door hardware for this.

Here's the first completed project, a walnut lecturn with linenfold panels. This was mostly done before I started the shop, but I set it aside until I was finished.

Thanks for viewing...

Kirk

good looking shop and a great tour and cool tools.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Thumbs up

Kirk, Nice shop! I love the "clerestory" windows up high. Wish I did that in my shop. Wall windows take up too much wall space. That's a great way to let in light! You did a great job on the brick work too. Love the granite keys, nice touch with the date carved in one.
    Questions:
    Why did you opt not to run the electrical in the walls?
    I see you have rigid insulation on the inside and outside of the studs. Did you insulate between the studs and if so, what type did you use?
    Great thread(s). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for Sharing

The brick work was a great idea. That Brickey must be a wonder if you had never laid brick before, the job looks perfect. It looks like an a/c unit through the wall. Is that for heat also?

Very impressive. You have some massive tools.

One question: Since you did everything on such a grand scale, why didn't you spring for a cyclone and rigid ductwork running around the shop? Are you waiting to see where the final working area is for the equipment?

Roger

Thanks, guys.

The electrical is surface mounted for future flexibility. Though I've got so much of it I may not need to run too much new wire.

The A/C is really a PTAC heat pump. Effectively, it's a motel room unit. It does have an auxiliary electric heater in it for very cold days. So far, it's been running very well, though I haven't had to use the A/C. There are two ceiling fans to keep the hot air from being trapped in the clerestory.

I didn't have the money to get a fixed dust collection setup right now. I did have the contractor put a trench in the floor so I don't have to go overhead on the tablesaw or planer when the time comes. For now, I don't even have a dust hood on the planer, so I use a couple of trash cans and a snow shovel. The side walls are 9' tall, so the future piping will be well out of the way, and I'll probably put a cyclone in the garage to keep the sound down.

I am still arranging stuff, as well as rebuilding more old tools. I have a Delta HD lathe, a large shaper, and a single head molder in the queue, and I'm trying to cut a deal on a tenoner.

Kirk

WOW!!! Very nicely done. And I agree with Garth, nice job on the brick. Especially the arches. If you ever need a second job...... Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Great!

First class!
    One question: Why are you using such a small motor on your jointer (part 3, pic #2) LOL?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Force View Post
    First class!
    One question: Why are you using such a small motor on your jointer (part 3, pic #2) LOL?
    John
    I saw that too. Thing looks like a 10HP+! You could probably joint a board clean with butterknives!

-Brian

Nice job. Looks like a lot of effort.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Kirk, that is one fantastic shop!! I love the brickwork, is that your first go at bricklaying?? Great job.

I sure am glad I wasn't around when it came time to move those machines - you have some big ol' chunks of iron !!

Sweet looking shop Kirk....

I really like the extra windows you make room for in the roof.
    Can't have enough natural light.
    Great job on a first class shop....
    Enjoy!

Truly a labor of love, nicely done!
    Cool machines too
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You know, I think you're going to enjoy working in that shop! A great plan. I particularly like the clerestory. The natural light is great. Bravo!
    Duane McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    I saw that too. Thing looks like a 10HP+! You could probably joint a board clean with butterknives!

-Brian
    It's actually a 3 hp Century, probably original to the machine. Last patent date is 1916, IIRC, which lets me guess the date on the jointer to about 1920, +/- a couple of years. It came out of a factory in St Louis in the 1960's and sat unused in a couple of garages until I bought it 5 years ago.

The jointer is my second oldest working machine. The 30" bandsaw is a little older; both are Hall & Brown machines built a few miles away in St Louis. I have two other H&B machines, a shaper and a single-head molder, but neither of those is restored to working shape as yet.

Kirk