Thread: Murphy Bed w/ a Twist

Murphy Bed w/ a Twist

Hi all,
    I searched and found a lot of posts for folks that have built Murphy beds. Most/all of them used hardware kits from Lee Valley, Create-a-Bed and others. My question is, has anyone build a MB without purchasing these (rather expensive) kits. For as often as I'd lower and raise it, I would be willing to forgo the gas struts. I could always fit some in later if I decided they were needed. If you have ideas or plans for this, mainly focusing on the pivot/hinge, lock for the up position and the feet for the down position, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Mike

I just installed a physio therapy table at my wife's school and all that the table used was 3 heavy duty hinges. just make sure you leave enough room for the mattress and make sure you have a way to secure the mattress in place so it doesn't slide anywhere. The physio table locked into the upright position with a piece of wood that would pivot. There were also legs on the mat/table that you had to extend ptior to lowering it. There likely wasn't more than $30 of hardware for the table.

You definately had to be careful lowering it as the table probably weighed 100 lbs or more, but was by no means impossible.

Hope this helps!

Murphy Bed

Geoff, thanks for the reply. I figure an entire mattress weighs less than 50 lbs and the wood frame that I will build that pivots, will weigh around 20 lbs. If half the weight is held by / at the pivot, then I'll carry 35 lbs when I pivot it down. I will only have that much weight in my hands at 90 degrees (when it is down). As I lift it back up, the weight moves back towards the pivot, eventually having me lift 0 lbs when it is finally back up, vertical. I started my design and hope to start & finish it by the end of the year.