Thread: Black Stain

Black Stain

Good afternoon all,
    I'm looking for some advice on darking a quart of black stain (water based). I watched the video about adding some india ink to the black stain but not sure how much I should add to the quart. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Faz View Post
    Good afternoon all,
    I'm looking for some advice on darking a quart of black stain (water based). I watched the video about adding some india ink to the black stain but not sure how much I should add to the quart. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Have you already tried it and it doesn't penetrate to the black you desire?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Haven't tried it yet, but the customer wants it "BLACK". I will be applying it on some maple ply. I've done it in the past and it usually takes about 4 coats. I saw the india ink video and thought I could cut down on the number of coats.

If you don't get satisfactory results with the India Ink process, consider the Brian Boggs method of ebonizing. He details the process in a recent issue of Popular Woodworking that happens to be posted online:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...bonizing_Wood/

Anybody have a link for this India ink video?