Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orange shellac on Walnut

You would be better protecting it with a harder varnish than polyurethane varnish.

Poly is tough (floors) not hard. The shellac is a great moisture barrier and I would suggest garnet shellac on walnut.

Note if you use a premixed "orange shellac" like Zinsser you will be apply a shellac that has not been de-waxed and poly will not stick; the other varnishes will.

I would suggest a dewaxed shellac like Zinsser seal coat or a garnet mixed fresh from flakes; then a phenolic resin varnish like Waterlox Original in either satin or gloss.

Note: Gloss will highlight every flaw; satin will hide many flaws.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by John S. Genzer View Post
    QUESTION:

I am going to finish a walnut plant stand and would like to do this also, BLO, then orange shellac wipped on. I'm a nubie at all this.
    John
    Someone jump in here if I am wrong, but I believe that as long as you use dewaxed shellac, you can pretty much put anything on top of it.

For dewaxed orange, garnet, etc, you may need to go to flakes and mix your own. Flakes keep a long time (esp in fridge) and you can mix only what you need in the near-term, avoiding any potential shelf life issues for a long time.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Heres a lowboy I did with amber on walnut.
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...owboy+progress
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Shellac is color fast it does not darken with age; many varnishes will darken.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Shellac on walnut

I have found black walnut (mid-atlantic) really looks good with minwax antique oil,warmed up a little,in a 72 degree shop.Apply several coats(whatever makes you happy)Followed by a good quality wax.Its very simple way to finish way to finish walnut with a period look.(easy to renew in five or ten years) I use blond shellac primarily as a sealer and the darker shellacs on antique repairs Ed