Thread: Gel Stain as Pore Filler for QSWO

Gel Stain as Pore Filler for QSWO

I am using black and dark brown water-based dyes on quartersawn white oak to create a wenge-like look. While reading through another site's forum, I found the suggestion to next apply a layer of Seal-A-Coat, and then using Bartley's Gel Stain to fill the pores. However, I have never used either product, and am not sure whether I need to go out and buy them or if I can make do with other products (but not to the detriment of wood I'm working on!)

Is there any reason I should use Seal-A-Coat instead of a coat of shellac?

Also, has anyone used gel stains as a pore filler before? Is it better than a wood paste filler? If so, any secrets to it, or just wipe on, wipe off, done?

Shellac will do a great job seal the wood before you aplly the filler.

As for Gel stain as a filler... it will not be super hard but you could "filler" the pores with the gel stain for color, then add more shellac to seal it in.

Grain would then be FILLED.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

See homestead finishing site. Jeff has an article on stickley/mission finish that uses Bartley's

http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct..._rev3-2009.pdf
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.