Thread: Shop Notes Super Saw Horses

Shop Notes Super Saw Horses

The latest issue of Shop Notes Issue 108, has plans for super saw horses. I can't find what material they are recommending for the saw horses. I was going to use pine, but maybe it is too light weight. My thought is that it would be a good break down assembly table.

Does anyone, who has seen this plan, have any suggestions?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Hi, Rich. I think they are made from pine so you will probably be fine using it. I just emailed ShopNotes to verify that they used pine so I'll post their reply tomorrow night (if I get one).

Douglas Fir

I have the magazine. They used Douglas Fir. They look nice and are on my "to do" list.

Cheers,
    Sparky

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sparky. I stopped getting ShopNotes (great magazine) but I almost said without even seeing them; "Douglas Fir". ShopNotes and Woodsmith must have a good supplier of clear Doug-fir somewhere. They use a lot of it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I first looked at them I thought "Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas Fir". I'm sure either one would work just fine.

I'm going to build mine out of some off-grade maple that I've been trying to use up.

Sparky

Thanks for the information. I think I will make them out of pine. If I had Douglas fir, I would use it, but I have pine, so that will do. I also have some maple, but I want to use it for an outfeed table on the tablesaw.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I built a set of those last weekend out of some borg pine kd 2x4 and some doug fir 4x4.

Not a bad little project. Pretty quick and easy.

Been using them the last couple of nights as a support while I've been planing down some 10" wide 8/4 7' long maple boards for a dining room table. They are really solid and hold the weight well.

sawhorse1.jpg

sawhorse2.jpg

I did change the legs a bit from the plans, because I didn't buy enough 4x4's. Plenty of 2x4's laying around though!

OK, Rich, seems a lot of folks beat me to the draw here, but I did receive an email from ShopNotes customer service rep Carol Beronich. She said they used Douglas fir but any type of clear pine can be used. Another option is Poplar. It's relatively inexpensive and it is clear.
    So there you have it from the official source.
    Darrell

Darrell,

Thanks for the official word. I was surprised they did not discuss wood options in the article. I didnt think to email the question to shopnotes.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich