Thread: Scan Drawing into CorelDRAW and cut?

Scan Drawing into CorelDRAW and cut?

I would like to scan a line drawing into CorelDRAW and somehow convert it so I can export it and cut it with my laser engraver/cutter. I can "save as" the line drawing in DXF and import it into Newlydraw1 ok, but it will only engrave it, not cut the outline. I'm new to both Newlydraw1 and CorelDRAW. Any suggestions?

The laser is an Artsign JSM3040U 50 watt, running Newlydraw1 via USB. I would really like to use another program to drive the laser but apparently Newlydraw1 is the only one that will work? Any other suggestions here? I'd be willing to buy another program or card.

Thanks much for any help, guys!

Firejoe
    Pueblo, Colorado

If you scan it into Corel you need to run either Corel Trace to convert it to Vectors or draw the Vectors by hand (which I prefer). I don't know about your laser but mine only cuts the outlines when they are a red Vector hairline

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

The only problem with trace in Corel draw when it comes to line drawings are if the original scans are poor. You will get a half decent result but there will be a lot of nodes. Too many nodes will make cutting a real pain.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

As the others said. SAVE AS is not the same as converting to. Many programs that scan will save a file as a dxf, eps or ai, but unless you run a tracing program it's still a bitmap and can't e cut.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks! That gives me some things to try.

Firejoe

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    The only problem with trace in Corel draw when it comes to line drawings are if the original scans are poor. You will get a half decent result but there will be a lot of nodes. Too many nodes will make cutting a real pain.
    Absolutely agree, Frank - that's the reason why I also prefer to manually redraw. By the time you cleaned up an automatic traced drawing, you mostly have it redrawn twice.

Grouping or Welding Text in CorelDraw 14

I have a trial version of CorelDraw 14. I'm trying to figure out how to weld or combine text letters together so the laser will cut out the letters as a block or whole instead of individual letters. Any ideas?

there are different ways to do this, depends on what it should look like. Either you draw a rectangle the length of your text and move so the outlines overlap a little bit, then you use the weld function in Corel (under "Forms") or you can set a conture around your text, you have to play a bit with the width of the conture and might have to move some letters closer together for the conture to overlap.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Thorn 911 View Post
    I have a trial version of CorelDraw 14. I'm trying to figure out how to weld or combine text letters together so the laser will cut out the letters as a block or whole instead of individual letters. Any ideas?
    Is the trial version fully functional? Some features might not work.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

You Tube

If you look in Youtube and query Corel you find a large number of tutorials.
    Give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Thorn 911 View Post
    I would like to scan a line drawing into CorelDRAW and somehow convert it so I can export it and cut it with my laser engraver/cutter. I can "save as" the line drawing in DXF and import it into Newlydraw1 ok, but it will only engrave it, not cut the outline. I'm new to both Newlydraw1 and CorelDRAW. Any suggestions?

The laser is an Artsign JSM3040U 50 watt, running Newlydraw1 via USB. I would really like to use another program to drive the laser but apparently Newlydraw1 is the only one that will work? Any other suggestions here? I'd be willing to buy another program or card.

Thanks much for any help, guys!

Firejoe
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Can we have a look at the file
    Epilog Legend EXT 60w-Corel X4
    Skype me .

There's a lot more good than evil,
    and there's a lot more joy than pain.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil:
    for thou art with me;
    thy rod and thy staff
    they comfort me."

Yes, the trial is supposed to be fully functional, but only for 15 days.

I'll try Youtube for help.

I don't really have much of a file set up, just trying random things with CorelDraw.