Thread: Using new iMac Epilog doesn't want to work HELP!

Unhappy Using new iMac Epilog doesn't want to work HELP!

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new iMac and have been going crazy trying to get my Epilog mini laser to work with it. I installed bootcamp with Windows XP Pro and it seems like everything is fine with the usb ports because my printer and mouse work off them fine. I have tried making my Epilog work using a usb and then that didn't work so I tried ethernet, but couldn't get that to work either. Any ideas or suggestions? I also have a job due in the next couple days, so I'm extra stressed haha.

Thanks,

Boris

Boris,

You can use bootcamp or parallels off a Mac to the Epilog, no problem. The likely cause is a configuration issue. My suggestion is to connect via Ethernet as it's the most common, faster & more reliable. Tech support can assist with the installation/configuration from a Windows based computer so when you call them (303.215.9171) be in boot-camp and not the Mac OS.

For the interim, use your old PC to print until your Mac is configured properly.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Thanks Peck,

I'm def about to call Epilog up. I'm sure they'll figure out my problem. Probably something to do with the ports needing to be configured or something of that nature.

PM me and I access your machine remotely to configure it for you.

Boris,

Pm me and I'll access your setup via my bomgar box. I can fix the config file it you want.

bugs
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Hey Bugs,

Thank you so much you're awesome for the offer, I finally got everything figured out earlier today and am up and running. Already made one plaque now just gotta get the hang of remembering how to use correctly.

If you are using bootcamp or parallels it is like using a PC no different. You should try Vmware, I am so pleased with it.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    If you are using bootcamp or parallels it is like using a PC no different. You should try Vmware, I am so pleased with it.

Kim
    Not really the same. Parallels and Vmware are virtual machines while Bootcamp boots into Windows. I find Bootcamp runs far more stable and faster than a VM especially when running processor intensive CAD programs. VMs are much more convenient though because you don't have to reboot.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

...while Bootcamp boots into Windows.
    Doug,

Does Bootcamp allow shared folder(s)?
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Not like VMs but I understand Snow Leopard goes both directions.

I currently access the PC drive from the Mac using the NTFS-3g driver.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer View Post
    Doug,

Does Bootcamp allow shared folder(s)?
    I use Bootcamp and you can set up shared folders which are opened in either Windows or Mac OS. So anything I want to use back and forth (like a jpeg) goes into my shared folder. Or if I want to email a CorelDraw file later from my Mac, it makes it easy.

I use ethernet to send CorelDraw documents to the laser from my Mac.

Plus, I used to use Parallels and it took longer to open than it does to reboot my Mac. Hands down, Bootcamp is the way to go - it's native, so no weird stuff.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Be careful of Parallels 5....

The nice thing about the Mac is that there are so many different ways to do things.

To Dee's point, bootcamp is the easiest/most stable as Apple has provided all the drivers required. Load XP SP2, then insert the Apple OS disc and it grabs what it needs so all the hardware works. The only 2 downsides to using just bootcamp are

1) You have to determine how much of the hard drive you want to partition (dedicated) to Windows which requires you to do some planning.

2) You have to leave the Mac OS in order to access the Windows partition.

I've used/tested/validated a number of elements and the one that gives me the most flexibility and yet the most stable is:

Install bootcamp partition and then use VMware to access the partition in "Unity" mode which allows you to run the laser and never leave the Mac OS (in practical terms). So you get to use all your email/browser/bookmarks etc that you use on a regular basis. This config allows you to share the Users root folder so all your docs are in one place, no need to copy to Windows partition or have duplicate copies laying around. Open files in Corel directly from Mac folder. (VMware education download price is only $39)

Lastly, be careful with Parallels 5 as it has issues like making items in your dock disappear.

PM me if you would like any assistance and I can set up any configuration remotely for you if you so desire.

Happy Thanksgiving. Bugs
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018