Thread: Curly White Oak and Sapele tables

Curly White Oak and Sapele tables

Thought I would post a few pictures of some tables I made over the last few days. One of the end tables matches the coffee table, the other one was made from the scraps I had left.

Finish is Boiled Linseed Oil, and in a week or two I will Shellac them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

A few More pics. . .

A few More pics. . .

And I forgot to mention the three brass dots are just accents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, those are some really interesting tables! I am not much on deviation from the norm, but I would have to say I kind of like the "artsy" thing with the contrasting strips - and a great job of inlaying them! The curly oak has some beautiful grain going on.

BTW, on the shellac, I have very good luck with nearly immediate application over BLO - no adhesion problems, and it doesn't seem to affect drying times for me. I am sure others will have different experiences with that.

Thanks John.

Boiled Linseed oil is a newer development for me. Varnish and Watco oils are what I tended to use in the past, but I am really enjoying the look that the Linseed oil gives. It is nice to know that I can Shellac it more quickly than I thought.

As for the Mahogany strips. . . I originally had a clean, all oak look in mind, but I didn't like the way the glue joint looked, and after scraping the top I found that I had a few ugly defects in the wood. So I came up with the strips to turn it back into a good looking table.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    ...I didn't like the way the glue joint looked, and after scraping the top I found that I had a few ugly defects in the wood. So I came up with the strips to turn it back into a good looking table.
    Great save! Sometimes those little "happy accidents" can turn into a nice piece of art.

Good.. solid basic construction on the tables. I prefer to wait on the BLO to completely gas off before I apply shellac also. It might work as J.K. has stated but... I was just taught to do so and have done so since so no experimentation on my part.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler