Thread: Got to say it again.... I love my DowelMax...

Got to say it again.... I love my DowelMax...

I just don't think I could live with out the DowelMax any more, its a really great tool.

The big overhead projector went out at work, it cost more to fix it then a new one so they got a new one. Now the mounts were different so they were going to have to buy a new mount, $250.

I got ask if I could make a new mount for the new projector, so here it is. It is 14"x13"x10" and will hold a 8 lb. projector, I use the old mount that connects to the ceiling, worked out really nice.

But the main point of the post is the DowelMax which I use to put it all together. There are a total of 60 dowels that hold it all together and they were so easy to put in and all lined up perfectly with the DowelMax. The DowelMax is just one great tool and worth every penny I paid for it.

Each panel is made of 3 boards, 3 dowels in each joint, total of 12 dowels.
    The sides have 2 dowels in each joint, total of 16 dowels.
    The panels are held to the sides with 9 dowels on each end, total of 36 dowels.

PB061126.jpg

Uh Bill....I don't see no fasteners?

Nicely done. I like it...the style and craftsmanship!

BTW....have they let back into that Rockler since we visited last year?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Uh Bill....I don't see no fasteners?

Nicely done. I like it...the style and craftsmanship!

BTW....have they let back into that Rockler since we visited last year?
    That's the idea, no fasteners, just dowels....

They let me back in Rockler that is if I promise not to bring my friends....

Blog Entries
    That looks great Bill. The Dowel Max strikes again ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Bill,

I believe you own a Mortise Pal as well. Why the DM over the MP in this case. I am not trying to make any argument just would like to know why you chose one over the other.

James

My DowelMax is due to arrive tomorrow. Now if I could build something that nice with it I'll be thrilled. After I've played with it for a while I may try your mods too. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Hi Bill,

I believe you own a Mortise Pal as well. Why the DM over the MP in this case. I am not trying to make any argument just would like to know why you chose one over the other.

James
    The main reason is the set up time, I needed to get this done in one evening and the dowels were just much faster to work with. There was no drawing line or measuring anything, just put it on and drill the holes

I guess when I look at the MP I really can do without it, I use the DM 10 times to the MP once. I guess I am just lazy, the DM is easier and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schapansky View Post
    My DowelMax is due to arrive tomorrow. Now if I could build something that nice with it I'll be thrilled. After I've played with it for a while I may try your mods too. Thanks for the post.
    The DM is so easy to us and works so well you will be just looking for things to use it for.

The one thing that I can say about using it is, use the check marks and don't get the idea you can do it without using them, always make then and use them.

There is a check on the end of the main block and one on the stop plate to match the face check mark. When I put the DM together I always put the 2 checks together so its always the same and I know were the face check is. It makes thing a little faster, you can just look at the end of the block and know were both checks are.

You will love the tool.

Hey Bill and others, not to highjack the thread but I have been really considering the Festool Domino. Anyone with experience with both that and the DowelMax? Or are they different application wise all together? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

BTW, beautiful work there!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Hey Bill and others, not to highjack the thread but I have been really considering the Festool Domino. Anyone with experience with both that and the DowelMax? Or are they different application wise all together? Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

BTW, beautiful work there!
    I don't have a Domino so its really not what you want but what I see is if you are really in to production type work there is no question, get a Domino.
    For me in my little hobby wood working shop there is just no way for me to justify the cost difference.

As to which is stronger I really think they are about the same, when you look at the glue surface I thing it would add up to about the the same.