Thread: Looking for DIY Flatbed Printer ideas

Looking for DIY Flatbed Printer ideas

Hiyas, I'm looking for instructions or designs so I can build myself a small flatbed printer. I've seen people put on displays their own creations on youtube and stuff, but never really provided step by step instructions or they simply lack any details. It would be great if I can just use an Epson inkjet and latch it to a table instead of rollers.

Buying a flatbed printer is out of the question for the most part. I just need something that can print on letter sized media, and all the reputable retailers sell wide format printers for a huge premium price. Also unless somebody has any first-hand dealings with those "Made in China" dealers, I just can't trust them with $3k+ and hope for it to arrive 2 weeks and any tech support if at all.

Hi,

Building a flat bed printer is not a very good idea to deal, because of its maintenance cost, dependability

I suggest you to loook for a sublimation set up to deal with, and if you still intrested in flatbed printer purchase, send me a private message, i will give a link

Regards,
    saravankumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

I found a few DIY sites with a Google search. The one problem I see is how to maintain the proper gap between the print head and the media being printed upon. Epson is the printer of choice, but if the print head gets damaged from dragging, your sunk! Too much gap and the ink will spray, leaving a fuzzy image.

John

You have to watch the types of inks a printer uses also. Some inks may not work on the subtrates you want to use.

Another choice is color laser transfer. You print on a transfer paper through your toner based laser printer or copier than you use a heat press to transfer to toner to the substrates.

Check these guys out

http://www.themagictouchusa.com/

Cheap and easy to do.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I just got back from a local woodworkers show hoping to check out some CNC machines, much to my surprise they wasn't a distributer there.

Wondering around I came across these guys selling a flatbed and a 360 degree printer. (VSP Specialty Printers out of Georgia)

Basic flatbed was about $5500.

It was built off a Lexmark Chassis, had an 8x17" bed I believe.

Did a decent job on most substrates (not great but decent), did standard ceramic tiles, wood tiles and flooring, Marble, limited area (Flatbed) for baseballs, golf balls ornaments etc. I was surprised that the ink printed on the
    variety of substates. A big minus to me was 8" width and no bulk feed on cartridges, manual focus for lack of better words to bring the print head to proper height. If it was too high no safety and printer head crashes. Pluses, fairly cheap price to get started. Wide variety of substrate (basically any thing that would fit will work) No special coatings. A full year warranty.

This is the thing that I found interesting for sealing the tiles and marble he used Krylon clear engine enamel! Has anyone had any experience with this?
    The best part was to "cure" it after spraying. He said to spray a decent coat on it, it will have a few bubbles but don't worry, they'll work out. Then stick it in a microwave oven for 4 minutes!

The samples he showed were decent again not perfect but decent.

The printers were Magic Pro 360 & FLB-24 Flatbed.

If anyone has had any experience with these please pass it on. the same with the Krylon paint.

As for DYI, You Tube has quite a few videos on DYI Flatbed printers.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I saw the same printer at the Kansas City Woodworking Show. A bit heavy on the "home made" look for that much money for me. Interesting concept, though.

The only CNC demo was from the Kansas City Woodworkers Guild.

John