Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table Miter Track

Router Table Miter Track

I'm soon to be building my version of the NYW Router Station. I plan on making a few changes here and there. For those of you who have router tables and have built them, do you have a miter track installed, and how often do you use it for a Miter Gauge?

I'm wondering if I would only need a T-Track section instead of the Miter Track. How often really do you use a miter gauge on a router table? With the T-Track I would be able to attach the feather boards and such. OR, I could put a miter track in that has the slot for a miter bar washer/guide. Then I could get the inserts which allow me to attach the T-Track hardware. With that option I have both Miter Bar and T-Track capabilities. But, if the Miter Track is never going to be used for it's designed purpose, I might as well put the T-Track in. Cheaper that way.

Thoughts?

Brandon with the low prices that Hartville has been running lately on T-Track and Miter Track I put both on the triple router table that I'm building. I may never need the miter track but its there if I ever choose to use it.

Good Point

Kind of a might as well put one there so its there if you need it? Probably safer to do that. Thanks Paul. I've been following your triple router build. I'm impressed and jealous all at once. Nicely done. I bet you get ten times the satisfaction from that monster than you expect to.

While I generally prefer fence-guided jigs for my router table rather than those that ride a miter track, I do use a track-guided coping sled and a Delta sled with a variety of clamping choices that require a standard miter slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    While I generally prefer fence-guided jigs for my router table rather than those that ride a miter track, SNIPPED.....
    Same here. I might add that I MUCH prefer fence guided jigs.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I'd do the miter track. I've never used a miter gauge in mine, but I use featherboards all the time. The Rockler ones work in miter tracks.

And there can't be that much difference in price between T-tracks and miter tracks.

-Brian

I used the Kreg Combo-Track on my router table. Here is a picture from Hartville Tool:

Gives you the best of both worlds.

Clay

Brandon,

I'm already getting satisfaction from it, I don't have the pictures posted yet but I have already used it to make the doors for the table cabinet. Now if I could just find a killer deal on a 3 1/4hp Milwaukee for the third spot, I would really be in business.

I'm with Brian on this one. If you never use it for anything except the feather boards, you'll appreciate having that option. And who knows, something else may come along that you'll use the miter track for. I'd install one.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I would put a miter track in for featherboards. I don't use a miter gauge on my router table.

Blog Entries
    I bought an Incr V27 just for the router table. My coping sled uses the miter track as well. I got the T-track and use these little nut do-jobbers (that's an industry term):

featherboards 002.jpg

when I stack featherboards:

featherboards 003.jpg

The leverage is a bit much for the friction fit holders but I do use them on single boards.

Here's a mock up of a wall cabinet I am working on today. Miter slot comes in handy for this. You can see why I make the RT and TS track to cutter distance the same.

dt slide 001.jpgdt slide 002.jpg

Easier to see here: dt slide 003.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-13-2009 at 2:31 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use the dual track like Clay posted as well. It's nice to have the option of doing either - why limit yourself?

When installing a dual track, should the 3/4" track be closer and be 5 1/2' from the cutting edge?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I use the dual track like Clay posted as well. It's nice to have the option of doing either - why limit yourself?

I put the track for the miter gauge further away from the bit than the T-track. Reason being that some of my feather boards for the T-track don't reach too far and I wanted to make sure I could still use all of them.

What is the distance of your miter gauge to the cutting surface?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I put the track for the miter gauge further away from the bit than the T-track. Reason being that some of my feather boards for the T-track don't reach too far and I wanted to make sure I could still use all of them.