Thread: Makita new large router

Makita new large router

• 1/2" Collet cone (763622-4)
    • 1/4" Collet sleeve insert (763803-0)
    • Extended depth adjustment knob (158980-5)
    • Wrench (781030-7)

Collet Capacities 1/4" - 1/2" Plunge Capacity 0" - 2-3/8" No Load Speed 9,000-22,000 RPM AMPS (115V) 15.0 Maximum horsepower 3-1/4 Overall Height 12-1/4" Net Weight 13.4 lbs. Shipping Weight 17.6 lbs. UPC Code 088381- 099431
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

How's the dust collection, I wonder?

Jason
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-13-2009 at 6:37 AM.

I was very surprised to see that they'd introduce a new router of this size that doesn't offer above table bit changes, etc....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Makita is and always has been very geared towards the trades (home building, etc.).

I imagine "silly" things like dust collection and above-the-table niceties aren't really on Makita's radar as construction guys generally don't care much about those things.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I was very surprised to see that they'd introduce a new router of this size that doesn't offer above table bit changes, etc....

Reminds me of the older Hitachi 3 HP routers

I know a guy that has an old Makita 3 1/4" plunge, probably 25 years old, and he swears by it. Never a problem and very smooth plunge action. I don't think its seen time in a table.

The new one looks a lot like my big Bosch in terms of lay out.

Looks like the 3612c I have had in my table for 12 years.
    paul

These major mfg.'s need to get on board with DC. I was at Menards last night and notice most of the bargain basement priced powered hand tools are coming through with a dust port now.....

Mac

What? No laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Makita is and always has been very geared towards the trades (home building, etc.).

I imagine "silly" things like dust collection and above-the-table niceties aren't really on Makita's radar as construction guys generally don't care much about those things.

Jason
    Exactly!

Gimmicks break, and for the most part do not save any time, they are just selling features for homeowners that count "features". I like the Porter Cables with the flat tops, just flip them upside down to change bits. A simple solution.