Thread: Building in the cold??

Building in the cold??

this might seem to be a very novice and stupid question, but I am looking to build an entertainment center for my parents and since my grandparents spend the winter in FL (which leaves a lot of un-used, but un-heated floor space) I was wondering what would happen if I built it in a un-heated workshop? its been hovering between 20-30 deg. around here. as long as when I was ready to finish it I brough it up to room temperature before applying finish.

Thanks
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    this might seem to be a very novice and stupid question, but I am looking to build an entertainment center for my parents and since my grandparents spend the winter in FL (which leaves a lot of un-used, but un-heated floor space) I was wondering what would happen if I built it in a un-heated workshop? its been hovering between 20-30 deg. around here. as long as when I was ready to finish it I brough it up to room temperature before applying finish.

Thanks
    -Jake
    The finish needs to dry in a heated area also. Be careful if you are using an open flame to heat and vapors from the finish.

Your wood glue is also best above 50 degrees.

another detail that may be of importance is the fact that it is an un-traditional piece in the fact that the only hardwood will be the face frame everything else will be sheetgoods

In his book "Understanding Wood" Hoadley tells of having finishing problems when bringing wood from a cool basement into a warm room. I'd heat the room and allow the project acclimate for several days before attempting to finish.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

It is a big enough project that I will finish after it is installed in the the family room, I'll give it 3-5 days atleast to acclimate

There's also the problem of you working in that cold. If the working area is 30-40 degrees, your hands (and you) will be very cold. That will make doing the work very uncomfortable and could lead to mistakes and accidents.

Be careful.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    If you use Deft clear wood finish you can complete the finishing in the cold. I have used Deft for over 30 years and have built several pieces in my heated shop and then taken them outside to be finished in an unheated garage, leaving them outside during the entire finishing process. I applied finish on a dresser every night for the past week and the highest temp was 19 and one day it was 5. By tonight the coat I did last night will be dry. I actually contacted Deft a few years ago and asked them about finishing in the cold. They said no problem it will just take longer to dry.

Since it takes longer to dry I apply the finish only to horizontal surfaces to avoid runs and put on heavy wet coats. I leave the item outside to dry 3-4 days after the last coat to avoid having any fumes in the house. Bringing it in sooner can sometimes produce bubbles on porous woods like red oak. Note: solvent based stains can also be applied in a warm shop and taken outside to "dry" after wiping off the excess. Wait at least 24 hours before bringing them back into a heated area on porous woods.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you use Deft clear wood finish you can complete the finishing in the cold. I have used Deft for over 30 years and have built several pieces in my heated shop and then taken them outside to be finished in an unheated garage, leaving them outside during the entire finishing process. I applied finish on a dresser every night for the past week and the highest temp was 19 and one day it was 5. By tonight the coat I did last night will be dry. I actually contacted Deft a few years ago and asked them about finishing in the cold. They said no problem it will just take longer to dry.

Since it takes longer to dry I apply the finish only to horizontal surfaces to avoid runs and put on heavy wet coats. I leave the item outside to dry 3-4 days after the last coat to avoid having any fumes in the house. Bringing it in sooner can sometimes produce bubbles on porous woods like red oak. Note: solvent based stains can also be applied in a warm shop and taken outside to "dry" after wiping off the excess. Wait at least 24 hours before bringing them back into a heated area on porous woods.

I use deft lacquer on my pens that i turn and i love it.. i have compared some of my pens to pens that have taken several different steps in the finishing process and wow mine look brilliantly shiny and clear.

Jacob, I'm in a similar situation - I've built my workshop in the only space available to me, the enclosed rear porch of my house. No insulation, or heating/cooling, but I'm otherwise protected from the elements. I have a radiant heater hanging over my workbench which provides some relief from the cold. I work almost exclusively with neander methods, which means that I can wear long-sleeves and the physical exertion makes me feel warmer. I haven't noticed any impact to my projects when transitioning inside - humidity change is a bigger concern than temperature change, and since I have radiator heat (vice forced air) the humidity inside is similar to the humidity outside (you might consider a couple cheap hygrometers to check yours). Glue-ups take place inside the house, after 24 hours for the timber to reach "room temperature." Finishing also takes place inside. Both glue-up (often with liquid hide glue) and finishing take place when the spouse is away or otherwise unlikely to complain about the odor!

Mark
    Mark Maleski