Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best place to buy slow drying epoxy

west marine and get the thickener agent so you can tailor the thickness to the application. Jamestown distributors is the best around

Lou

I use UV Cure one part Epoxy for Doming in Gallon Cans and I found the Walmart Mustard Pumps to fit nicely in the can with a extension hose and work fine for my use.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by James Mudler View Post
    I have been extremely pleased with the US Composites product line

http://www.shopmaninc.com/epoxy.html
    Thanks for that link James the prices look very good on this product compared to the others. Have you used west system or the other one to compare to the US Composites product line?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    At school in woodshop we had epoxy that came in 2 metal square cans with a pump on the top. it was pretty slow drying an hour or more work time normally let dry ovenight. i like that stuff way better then any of the quick dry stuff i've been able to find locally. anyone know where i could buy something similair from?

This was probably West System Epoxy. The pumps are designed for the proper ratios of the Part A and Part B. This is a very versatile epoxy system. All epoxies are temperature sensitive. The slow drying Part B is actually for use in hot weather and the fast drying is for cold weather. There is technical data that is very easy to read with graphs and charts in where you select the temperature range you will most likely be using it in and it will give you the 'kick-over' time. You can almost set your clock by it. Basically, in summer you want the slow drying and in winter you want the fast drying. If you live in the south, you want the "Tropical Hardener" in the summer time. Most other brands that dont have the different hardeners usually pick an average like 75*F and you will have to adjust because it will kick-off faster on a hot day and slower on a cool day. There is no such thing as an 'all-temp' epoxy in which it work the same in any temp.
    Also there are a few different thickeners. Some are for added strength which dont sand well and some are designed for filling and sand easily with a lesser strength. With West System epoxy, there is a product for almost any occasion.
    I generally use small throw-away cups for mixing. The LOML buys the pre-made jello for snacks and the cups are perfect for mixing epoxy. When kicking-off (exotherming), the epoxy can get very hot and start smoking.
    When I am finished using it, I set the cup on the concrete floor in my shop away from other objects. Then throw it away later. I also leave the mixing stick and brush in the cup so I can feel at which stage of hardening it is.
    You can mix their epoxy with the fillers from amywhere from a syrup consistancy to a peanut butter consistancy - literally!!!!!.
    Also add sawdust to it to color it to match my wood after mixing the Parts A & B.
    Great stuff, very versatile, not cheap.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 01-06-2010 at 9:22 AM.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I have used RAKA products a lot and never had a problem. They are somewhat cheaper than West. Good outfit to do business with.

http://www.raka.com/