Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update on Art Show (long version)

Talking Update on Art Show (long version)

Some of you may recall that I entered a regional juried art show awhile back. Of the three pieces I submitted, one of them was accepted to the show – this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=119631

When I originally posted the work, I also requested ideas for names - as naming your art seems to be the thing to do at these shows. Of all the really good suggestions that were offered, one really stood out and ended up being the one adopted. The name: Hope, suggested by Walt Caza! Thank you Walt as the name truly fit the turning!

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from the Bonifas Art Center. My first thoughts were that they had dropped the turning! Actually, they called to verify that I was planning to attend the reception as my artwork had been chosen to receive recognition. Really? That’s cool.

So, last night, the public reception/opening of the Northern Exposure XVI Art Show was held at the William Bonifas Fine Arts Center in beautiful downtown Escanaba, MI. My wife and I arrived fashionably late thanks to a very strong headwind for the duration of our 65 mile drive. When we arrived we were both surprised to find the place already very crowded with lots more folks driving around looking for a place to park. Cool!

We were warmly welcomed at the door by one of the staff and briefly told where everything was located as there was a large entry area with seating and a bar, a main showroom and a large upstairs showroom. I glanced around the room and saw a friend of mine from our turning club – Bill Wiard and his wife Edith. They both had artwork in the show, his being a large turned tree stump with turquoise inlay and she had a beautiful watercolor.

We all walked into the main showroom, picked up our name tags and started checking out the art. There was some amazing work being displayed and barely had time to walk around the lower gallery when they started the awards ceremony. This was the first art show I have been in where the artists actually could win cash awards as well as a shot at getting your own gallery show.

My friend, Bill Wiard, won an invitation to a big Petoskey Gallery Art Show coming up in February. Bill has been doing art shows and galleries for years and is fairly well known locally, but he was very happy for the opportunity to do a show south of the bridge!

I also managed to win something.
    Accepting Award.jpg

Out of all the awards, I like mine the best! I won one of four purchase prizes! My turning was bought by Bay de Noc Community College to become part of their permanent art collection! The collection display is alternated between their Escanaba campus and their Iron Mountain campus! I am thrilled that the piece was sold but even more elated that the piece isn’t going to some nice home where only the buyers can enjoy it – but is becoming a part of an art collection with lots of exposure! When you are trying to get your name out there as a turner - How cool is that!?!

Purchase Prize Award.jpg Bay de Noc's newest art collection addition - Hope.

Art Talking.jpg profile shot, presenter from Bay de Noc College, Bill Wiard

Bill's Stump Turning.jpg Edith's Watercolor.jpg Bill's turned stump and Edith's watercolor!

Anyway, wanted to update everyone on the outcome of the art show and thank everyone once again for their support with all the name suggestions!

I seriously appreciate it! Thank you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    That's Awesome !!!
    Congratulations !!!

Excellent...and well deserved!! Congratulations on your award. Let's hope it is the first of many.

Huge Congratulations !

Fantastic Steve, very happy for you. Your hard work had paid off. Beautiful piece and well deserved.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Congratulations on your award, Steve. What an elegant piece! I missed your previous thread, so this is the first time I saw it. Inspiring!

Congratulations are your achievement, very well deserved.
    Bo

How much money and/or time did "The Creek" save you today. I'll bet it was more than the cost of becoming a contributor.

Congratulations, Steve! Beautiful piece and a well deserved award. The satisfaction of having one's work purchased by a public entity for others to enjoy is the best award though, Isn't it? Keep up the excellent work.

Glenn

Fantastic news Steve. I am just thrilled for you. Hope this is just the beginning for your turned art with loads more recognition to come.....and hey, 'ya clean up real nice!....Bill...

Congratulations, Steve. A very deserving award.

I also missed seeing the piece the first time and I must say that it's absolutely stunning. (I did prefer the name "Black Ice", though )

You also look right at home with all those artsy-fartsy types. Must be the hair.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Congrats.

It has to be a great, and satisfying feeling to have your work on display in an art exhibit.

I think you can officially say that you have a "Studio" now.

Congratulations, hope you don't get you nose up in the air with all the accolades, just kidding of course.

Steve,
    Your award was very well deserved. The piece is outstanding and it seemed like a wonderful night for you and your wife. We are all proud for you to be honored in this way. Well done!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Major congratulations to you Steve. That's quite an accomplishment to go along with an absolutely wonderful piece of art that you made. And, maybe letting us name your pieces wasn't too bad an idea after all

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Congratulations Steve. That's a very well deserved honor for you and a fantastic piece of artwork. Well done.

Steve that's terrific, and well-deserved recognition!! That piece deserves public display.
    Congrats!
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood