Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lie Nielsen planes

I do not think that a LN plane made out of ductile cast iron will crack...never heard of that happening and I think that LN guarantees that this will not happen. As others have said, functionally Bronze and Iron are the same, but the Bronze will add a little wieght and not rust.

Blog Entries
    On the 102, I chose brass because it's was only $15 more. The block rabbit doesn't come in brass and the #3 bench plane I ordered was ductile iron. The reason was primarily that the cost difference there was $65.

I think the brass does give you some style points, but outside of that, probably not much as the average person that buys a Lie Nielsen plane isn't the type to neglect it.

My 102 is bronze also I love that little plane. Comes in very handy for a lot of things.

Blog Entries
    I like my LN bronze plane, but it does leave some dark areas on light wood like pine. It is a #1 and does not see a lot of use, but sometimes it is the right plane for the job. It is not available in an iron version.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)