Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Show us your Bench

Nice job for a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Beckham View Post
    I made the whole thing in one weekend.
    Wish they worked like you in D.C.!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Beckham View Post
    Thread revived!

Here she is: all function, no form. I built this as my bench-on-which-to-build-a-proper-bench. My proper bench has never been made as this one works quite well. Wife isn't terribly happy it's inside the house, but considering it produces other nice things, it gets to stay.

I made the whole thing in one weekend. 24" wide and 7' long. The top is 6 layers of 3/4" MDF, glued. 3 sheets split in half. The legs are 3 layers of SYP 2x8 glued and nailed. The side stretchers are 2x6's, glued and nailed. The long stretchers are two 2x4's glued into the leg layers to form a tenon. A Veritas twin-screw and wonder-dog round out the work-holding. I keep meaning to fit in a good wagon vise.There's a lot of nails and a crap-ton of glue, but it's functional. For reference, a crap-ton is approximately equal to one gallon.

Attachment 224011
    The bench is great and its amazing that you did it in a weekend. However, I'm even more thrilled by the gorgeous old handsaw hanging on the wall!

Thought I'd show my modest effort as it was from this thread that I got my inspiration to build a bench. It is a bit of a Frankenstien as it started out as an old table top (you can't see it - it's sandwiched beneath the top) from my camper van. This dictated the size of roughly 1200x800, so not huge but it fits in the shed quite well and is a step up from the old workmate and a couple of saw horses.

The base/legs are Douglas Fir (I think) from the local hardware store (I live remote NZ so not a lot of choice in timber). The top is actually recycled Rimu (NZ native) from the a recent house renovation, so it was full of nail holes and quite sappy in places but I like the look. I epoxy filled the flaws to make a smooth splinter free surface. The vice is just a 7" carbatec.

Cheers
    Steve

_6145531.jpg _6145530.jpg _6145529.jpg

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Welcome to the Creek. You might consider putting NZ in your profile as surely in a year everyone will wonder where it was you said you live.

Looks like a nice serviceable bench. Mine has been in process for well over a year now. That wood should be getting acclimated to my shop by now.

Been trying to build more potting benches for now. During the spring and summer I am too busy making things to sell at the Farmers Market. During the fall and winter it is too cold to glue up laminations.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hall View Post
    Thought I'd show my modest effort as it was from this thread that I got my inspiration to build a bench. It is a bit of a Frankenstien as it started out as an old table top (you can't see it - it's sandwiched beneath the top) from my camper van. This dictated the size of roughly 1200x800, so not huge but it fits in the shed quite well and is a step up from the old workmate and a couple of saw horses.

The base/legs are Douglas Fir (I think) from the local hardware store (I live remote NZ so not a lot of choice in timber). The top is actually recycled Rimu (NZ native) from the a recent house renovation, so it was full of nail holes and quite sappy in places but I like the look. I epoxy filled the flaws to make a smooth splinter free surface. The vice is just a 7" carbatec.

Cheers
    Steve

_6145531.jpg _6145530.jpg _6145529.jpg
    Interesting bench....

Here's the bench I built over the past 6 months out of hickory. It's got a 1/2" strip of jatoba around the edge about 1 3/4" in so I know where the edge of the bench is without looking.

It's not the best, but it's heavy and does the job. I still need to get the LN vise put on the front, but meh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hall View Post

I much prefer this sort of thing to the prissy, furniture quality benches so often displayed.
    This is the kind of bench you can use proudly without fear of damaging the finish.

Thats a nice size Steve. Might work as a second bench in my place. I love the top, both the thickness and color. Be sure to let us know how she "works" after you use her a bit.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I still need to get the LN vise put on the front, but meh.
    With that hulking hunk of holder on the tail, who needs a face vise?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    With that hulking hunk of holder on the tail, who needs a face vise?

jtk
    Hence the "meh". The tail vise is 33.5" wide (or 34"). The LN will be around 14" wide I think, and the face apron has dog holes in it like a "deadman" support so I can plane long lengths.

Thus far though, the Veritas twin screw has been nice. I kept the dog holes close enough so that I don't have to take it out over about half-way so that it doesn't fall.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Not as nice as others, but it work realy well! The only thing I would change is the end vice! Made of DF and Red Oak for the leg vice! 60"x 24"x 33".

Actually this looks about perfect, nice, simple, functional.

Benchtop newly flattened and oiled...
    Benchtop.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Losey View Post
    Benchtop newly flattened and oiled...
    Benchtop.jpg
    Wow, beautiful grain and nice contrast.

[img]C:\Users\User\Desktop\IMG_5345.JPG[/img]