Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Bench

Show us your Bench

How about a "Show us your Bench" thread? Say two pics max, best features, construction materials, maybe list the accessories, vices etc. but limit each bench to one post, to keep people from hijacking the thread and make it easy to see a lot of benches. I know that there is a workbench section in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs but one thread with one entry per bench might be an easier to view and get more benches. And yes this is a bit self serving, I'm planning a bench build.
    The Plane Anarchist

My Workbench

This was made from plans in American Woodworker Mag. It basically 3 plywood boxes on a 2x4 frame. Up under the frame are 6 100 lb wheels. It is propped up on hardwood wedges almost all the time unless I want to move it. Trimmed out in oak. The plywood boxes have drawers and doors for storage. I used a solid core door that someone gave me for a top. Trimmed the door (cut to size) in walnut and added a lee valley vice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave B - Parkville, MD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ash, 2.5" thick top, 1.5" thick front apron. Just shy of 8' long. Walnut leg vise and jorgensen quick release on the end. Bench bolts with M&T legs.

Build gallery:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/deuce868/Workbench#

Here's mine. Birch base, 34 x 96 maple top and bloodwood drawer fronts. Used a mix of Federal blue and Cypress green milk paint. The drawers on the left are actually two big drawers to house power tools.
    Ken

Easier to link since vBulletin doesn't like uploading the same pic twice
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83328
    Use the fence Luke

My bench, Maple, walnut, Tucker, Twin screw, Noden, etc.

Here are some links to my bench.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102856

This one has other benches as well (scroll down to see mine).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100611

Eric

4" thick top (maple)

24"x84" at 33" off the floor.

LN tail vise and LV face vise

Behold - Son of Holtzapffel, with a little Roubo DNA as well. In keeping with the "Green" movement, most of the materials are recycled or reclaimed.

The base is made from SYP off-cuts from work. the legs are 4 1/2 x 5 and the stringers are 3 1/2 x 5. The top is made from two maple butcher block benchtops salvaged from a local factory that closed. I laminated them together to form a solid 3 1/2" thick top 27" x 60". I bolted a 3 1/2" hard maple apron all the way around to make for a cleaner look.

The front vise is hard maple with a curly maple cap, 3 1/2" thick x 8" tall x 36" wide, powered by a Veritas twin screw kit with the screws at 24". The end vise is an old Wilton that I mortised into the top behind the apron with a big maple chop attached to the moving jaw.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Show us your Bench
    Just a bit over 8' long, tool tray, face vise on opposite end. I did manage to fill in the clamp shelf down below.

Blog Entries
    My bench was store bought and is pretty plane compared to all these other fantastic benches.

Plane Bench.jpg

One day, I will scrounge enough quality wood to actually build a bench that is truly my own.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This one is mine...

Not as nice as others, but it work realy well! The only thing I would change is the end vice! Made of DF and Red Oak for the leg vice! 60"x 24"x 33".

Here's mine. 4" thick Jatoba top. One heavy bench.
    The older I get the faster I was.

Here's mine

OK it's more like a bench want-a-be. Reclaimed Douglas Fir barn timbers aging like a fine wine just waiting for the right time. Some pretty cool benches, so far I'm leaning toward a Robo-shake-apffel.
    The Plane Anarchist

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

15. Roubo bones with Benchcrafted vises. Douglas fir except the vise chop and deadman, which are both ash. My second bench, after enough time to know what I really wanted on a bench. My first was prettier, but nowhere near as efficient or as pleasant to work on.

The bench is the most important tool in my shop, and this one is as close to perfect for me as I've ever used.