Thread: Show us your Bench

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Losey View Post
    Benchtop newly flattened and oiled...
    Attachment 304134

Very impressive...

Blog Entries
    Nice work! More pictures!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

This is the bench my brother and I made from FWW #167. There were some firsts for us like draw bore pins on the legs, mortise and tenon with wedges and half blind dovetails. Installing the twin screw vise took some time also. We never had an "official" bench just 2x4's with plywood. Looking forward to using the new bench soon. [Pictures will be posted later]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Rechlin; 01-13-2015 at 9:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I much prefer this sort of thing to the prissy, furniture quality benches so often displayed.
    This is the kind of bench you can use proudly without fear of damaging the finish.

Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rechlin View Post
    This is the bench my brother and I made from FWW #167. There were some firsts for us like draw bore pins on the legs, mortise and tenon with wedges and half blind dovetails. Installing the twin screw vise took some time also. We never had an "official" bench just 2x4's with plywood. Looking forward to using the new bench soon. [Pictures will be posted later]
    Nice work, let us know how you like the twin screw vise.

I haven't been around much lately but I thought I should up date folks on how my bench build is progressing.
    I moved the wood to a rented storage shed.
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I haven't been around much lately but I thought I should up date folks on how my bench build is progressing.
    I moved the wood to a rented storage shed.
    Thanks Leigh, now I don't feel so bad about my wood for a bench "acclimating" in my shop the past few years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Forgive me for posting what's past but it's therapeutic for someone who is effectively on an island devoid of tools.

I bought this and assembled it. I wanted drawers.

So I took some unistrut I had in the garage and cut it up to make the base of the drawer slides.

I made the drawers and built partitions

It's all in storage now.

This is like looking at pictures of a long lost love.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Now that I've put my entire shop in a couple of storage units for a year or two, I torture myself by bringing back this thread. But I still love to look at these and dream of what will be some day. Juliie I like the drawers too,beautiful.
    The Plane Anarchist

How about learning to carve? That seems to take no space at all. I recently started looking at some chip carving videos, kind of neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Now that I've put my entire shop in a couple of storage units for a year or two, I torture myself by bringing back this thread. But I still love to look at these and dream of what will be some day. Juliie I like the drawers too,beautiful.

I think carving might take more artistic ability than I have. I kept my hand tools out of storage so I can still do somethings but I've never been 100% Neanderthal.
    The Plane Anarchist

Julie,you are truly a remarkable woman! I love what you have done with your bench. I hope you can get it back to use soon,though I have no idea what your situation is. Still getting moved?

I need you to come here and get my shop better organized!!!

mmmmmmm.... Unistrut!
    Me likey!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Julie,you are truly a remarkable woman! I love what you have done with your bench. I hope you can get it back to use soon,though I have no idea what your situation is. Still getting moved?

I need you to come here and get my shop better organized!!!
    Still in limbo, George. I might take you up on coming over. I'm crawling walls waiting.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Here's mine. 4" split top, 88" long, 24" total width, 34" high (I'm 6'1").

LV quick-release front vise with a ridiculously large chop. LN proper tail vise, which is just about my favorite thing, ever.

I really wanted to build with hard maple, but I could only afford doug fir (2x12x16, ripped and chopped in half, to net four boards each). But when it came time to consider the vises, dog holes, etc, I couldn't stand working in softwood any longer. So, it's around 2/3 fir, 1/3 maple.

Ignore the aborted surgery for a leg vise with scissor arrangement. Long story - I like this front vise better.

The most memorable part of the build was right at the end, when I decided it would be much easier to install the front vise, if I (all by myself) were to flip the bench on it's top. The bench actually went over very gently. But when it came time to reverse the process... what the heck was I thinking? It may as well have been glued to the shop floor. I eventually did get it, with some sketchy blocks, and a nine-foot prybar. When it finally dropped onto it's feet, it was like a glacier calving into the sea. At least I was spared the embarrassment of having the mailman pull up with me trying to work on an upside down bench. I'm guessing total weight is in the 500-600 lb range (without the Moxon / joinery bench).

Last edited by Joe Vannucci; 06-01-2019 at 4:43 AM.