Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Bench

Hi Roger,
    I like a bench that invites use. Those beautiful ones might scare me off. Sometimes I like to screw things down ect...
    Nice to see another woodworker in Queens. It looks like you might have more of a shop than I, since I work in my kitchen. I have been working at a bench for almost a year. When it's done, I'll try to post some pictures. I keep debating the design so that is holding up progress now.
    Peace,
    Harlan

Roger,

I see the most important tool in the shop on top of your bench! The ash tray!

I have a love affair going on with tobacco, and have for 19 years now. In my shop I have an ashtray on every working surface, and when I get any stationary tool that I am going to spend a lot of time on, such as the lathe, I find a way to house an ashtray or pipe rest very close.

The bench look very functional. I might have to try the laminated top idea once I build another bench.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Raney Nelson View Post

Great looking bench Raney. I love the sliding dovetail for the endcap. Can you give any details on you you cut it?

Thanks, Bill

Here's mine. The top is 24x84x2.5 hard maple salvaged from a bowling alley. Twin screw front vise, quick release iron end vise with wooden chop. Since these pictures were taken I added a shelf between the stretchers.

Additional (and larger) pictures are available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbf123/...7618658665772/

Blog Entries
    The top is 24x84x2.5 hard maple salvaged from a bowling alley.
    I still kick myself at times for having passed up an opportunity to acquire some old bowling alley salvage.

We learn and live on.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here's my bench. Used the FWW plan and changed the dimensions slighly.

Last edited by Rob Parsons; 11-19-2009 at 6:10 PM.

Rob,

What type of wood did you use to make the wedges for the wedged tenons?
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Raney Nelson View Post
    Roubo bones with Benchcrafted vises. Douglas fir
    So how is the fir holding up? What did you use for a finish? I have a bunch of reclaimed doug fir that I plan to use for the base and maybe the top. I'm not too worried about keeping the top pristine but I wouldn't want it to get destroyed either. Do you pick up may splinters from it? I have maple for the top but I really would rather use the the 5" thick fir beams and not have to laminate a bunch of maple.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Not as nice as others, but it work realy well! The only thing I would change is the end vice! Made of DF and Red Oak for the leg vice! 60"x 24"x 33".
    I like David's best because his shop has stuff leaning against the wall and shavings on the floor. Makes me feel right at home!

Dan,

The top and base are maple. I used cherry for the wedges, mainly for the color contrast.

Leigh, I used DF for my banch and to be honest, I think it's holding up realy good and splinters problems yet! Maybe one thing to consider, I use my hold fast a lot and find that it deforme the 3/4" dog holes!

12. I have zero regrets about the DF at this point. I haven't noticed any deformation, but I probably use a Veritas holdfast at least half the time, so I may not be taxing mine asa much as David. So far, it's holding its flatness very well, certainly more than sturdy enough, and I have no qualms whatsoever about actually using the heck out of it.

So far I find it preferable to the Ash and walnut I had on my last bench. We'll see if I still feel that way in a year.

Raney, why do you find it preferable to Ash and Walnut? I knowthat my next bench top will still be DF and it will be at least 8'. that said, I might laminat a strip of an harder wood such as Hard Maple or Beech for the round dog hole!

14. Well, there is the classic argument for softwood, which is that the bench will probably dent before a workpiece will. It's a reasonable notion, but for the life of me I can't think of the last time I dented a piece on my bench.

So there are really 3 reasons for me:
    1) cost (I spent under $100 for all the wood in my top)
    2) it's ridiculously fast and easy to flatten
    3) (this is actually probably the biggest - though I don't think it would matter much to some people) -- I'm not at all 'attached' to my DF worktop, and I could care less if it gets marred, marked, or hacked in the process of making stuff. With a 'pretty' bench, I tend to be a little more concerned about keeping it pristine -- at least unitl it gets not-so-pretty anymore.

These seems good anought resons to me!!! Do the base of your bench is DF or you use something else?