Thread: Router table question

Router table question

I need some expert advise on matching a router to a router table. I have an 18 year old Porter Cable Model 6902 10A 23,000 RPM fixed router, with a Model 1001 base. I'm planning on building some kitchen cabinets, buffet, etc. and would like to attach this router to a router table if possible to shape my 3/4" hardwood stock. Any thoughts on whether my router is sufficient power/right design for this?

Thanks-
    Scott

I would go with more hp. My PC 890 would do the job. It spins a raised panel bit just fine. You'll be asking a bit much out of that router. Keep it for hand held work.
    An insert plate to mount the router is the way to go. You can get one at HF for $20, or shop around and spend more.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Agree with Myk, the HP is key. Most rules of thumb indicate 2HP or better for raised panel bits. I switched from a 1-1/2HP PC 690 to a 3-1/4HP PC 7518 because I got burn and chatter from the little guy.

I used a PC 690 with a cheap speed control unit for my first cabinet job. By slowing the speed down and taking multiple light passes, I was able to get the job done, but it was far from ideal. I would definately reccomend more horsepower and variable speed. If you find a bigger router you like without variable speed, an external speed control device is pretty cheap, but won't work with soft start routers.

The P-C 690 works fine. Power would be its primary limitation for swinging large bits. Just take small bites. My personal choices for dedicated router table use are the 3-1/4 HP P-C 7518 and Triton routers.

Characteristics I've found valuable for router table applications that are not commonly mentioned:
    -- Wide base opening to allow edge of large bits to be lowered slightly below the table top, e.t., the DW625's opening is too small, while the P-C 7518 has a giant opening. The Triton's opening is too small, but the aluminum around the opening is thin, non-structural, and can be easily filed or routed away.
    -- Collet that will extend entirely through the base to allow bits to be raised above the table top plus a 1/4" sliding jig, such as a coping jig, without a collet extension. It also helps significantly with wrench access for changing bits. Many routers have adequate collet extension without the dust-collection shroud, but unsatisfactory extension with the shroud in place (e.g., the 2+ HP DeWalts).
    -- Air flow toward the bit. This helps significantly with dust collection. I don't know what is normal, but Triton advertises this as a feature. My experience with the Triton's dust collection, with its plastic shroud, is first rate even without a surrounding cabinet.
    -- Standard cylindrical mount. There are many third-party accessories available for routers with standard cylindrical clamping mounts, like the P-C, DeWalt, Bosch, etc. Such accessories cannot be used with the Triton, for example.
    -- Fixed base or easily disabled plunge spring. Removing the plunge spring on many plunge bases is a pain, such that you wouldn't switch between table and hand-held use. When that's the case, you may as well stick with a fixed base.
    -- Build-in table top height adjustment. This avoids the cost of a router lift or reaching under the table. The 3-1/4 HP Triton's built-in coarse and fine controls are nice (so you don't have to crank the lift so much), but require reaching under the table. On the other hand, router lifts have some benefits, such as calibrated disks and add-on digital depth readouts.
    Last edited by Wayne Cannon; 09-16-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Add P-C 690 comment.