Thread: Live edge walnut entry table

Live edge walnut entry table

I was was given a slab of claro walnut with a live edge. I just cleaned it up sanded/ planed etc. Designed a couple of stainless brackets that epoxy to the wall with all thread. It is in my guest house
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I aspire to your design sense, Mark. Really nice.

Mark, that is one beautiful piece of wood! Great design, and as Shawn noted, your sense of style and balance is fantastic - but, then, that is what you do!! And, you do it extremely well!

What finish did you use on the walnut? It looks very touchable.

Very nice, looks great against the wall like that. Outstanding piece of walnut!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mark, that is one beautiful piece of wood! Great design, and as Shawn noted, your sense of style and balance is fantastic - but, then, that is what you do!! And, you do it extremely well!

What finish did you use on the walnut? It looks very touchable.
    Jon ,
    I used 3 coats of Bartley's gel varnish which is great but leaves a Crystal like sparkle which I don't like. I waited a few days and then used Howard's Restore a finish. This eliminates the sparkle and then Watco Satin Wax. It really is super smooth and satin like.

As usual, beautiful work Mark. Did you do the floor? if so what sort of wood & finish did you use.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Wayne,
    The floor is Jatoba ( Brazilian Cherry) with urethane .... I did not do it

Mark-
    I'm impressed with the live edge. How did you prep/polish it?

Any particular reason you left the stainless brackets long? This is probably just my own preferences showing through--even though I like stainless as a design element, in this case my mind's eye tells me they would look better at or behind the live edge of the walnut, perhaps even with the bottom corner nipped off, mitered, or rounded.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Any particular reason you left the stainless brackets long? This is probably just my own preferences showing through--even though I like stainless as a design element, in this case my mind's eye tells me they would look better at or behind the live edge of the walnut, perhaps even with the bottom corner nipped off, mitered, or rounded.
    My idea here was to hold the slab as if the tree was a " precious" object. There is no joinery or legs. The brackets cradle the slab as if you were carrying a young child. They are an important part of the composition and seeing them eliminates any uncertainty of the means of support

I'll buy that, Mark. Still looks great!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Nice work. Bet people love staying at your guest house

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    My idea here was to hold the slab as if the tree was a " precious" object. There is no joinery or legs. The brackets cradle the slab as if you were carrying a young child. They are an important part of the composition and seeing them eliminates any uncertainty of the means of support
    Well done Mark, that is a beutiful piece of wood and I love the supports.