Thread: Salvaged hardware storage idea

Salvaged hardware storage idea

In the "A nice little tool to have..." thread I made mention of my salvaged hardware pails and almost included this there but decided to make it a separate thread.

I never throw away usable hardware, but storing all of it can become a problem. What I've done is to take several used 5 gal plastic (joint compound) pails and cut them off at about 5-6" high. Drill 3 holes equally spaced around them about 2" up from the bottom. Push a 1/4-20 or larger bolt out each hole and put two nuts on each bolt. The short pails will now stack nicely and store more junk in the same shelf space as one pail. Each layer will be only 2-3" thick, making it very easy to paw through the contents. It will also allow for some sorting of the contents by layer.

---Scott.

makem a little taller and cut out a handhole in one side, you don't have to dissasemble the stack to find something. Personally I use empty soup cans and such set in a rack with the front edge higher than the back so the can sets on a slope and those personal moist wipe plastic boxes with hinged lids from the hospital, they just throw them away. and cat litter containers.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand