Thread: Display cabinet

Display cabinet

I just recently finished this display cabinet for a client. It's built to her specifications - I just contributed the construction skills. It's actually two cabinets stacked. She wanted it that way so it would be easier to handle when it needed to be moved. Glass shelves will be used in the top and will be supplied by the client. I need to go back and install the earthquake straps soon.
    Cabinets-59.jpg

You can see the construction here. It's in reverse chronological order.

I actually have three of these cabinets to make and have started on the second one now.

There's a back story on the cabinets which you can read here.

Mike

[Just an added comment: The basis of the design is Greene & Greene but she didn't want any of the ebony highlights that are normally found in G&G. When the client's paying, you do it the way they want it, even if it's not the way you'd build it.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-15-2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

She picked an interesting design with that top and base. I like it and you did a nice job of executing her design...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Mike, very interesting construction details! You did a great job on this project, and the design is actually rather unique - not true G&G, but enough. Turned out great!

Enjoyed reading the build chronology on your webpage.

She pays

She pays extra for making you leave stuff out and compromising your good name right?

Blog Entries
    Mike, you're going to have to change your avatar back. I forget who you really are sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
    She pays extra for making you leave stuff out and compromising your good name right?
    Well, these did turn out to be a good price. Funny story. When she approached me, I really didn't want to do the job because it was modifying someone else's work. So I quoted fairly high (almost double). Someone told me that was a "Japanese no". I send her the quote by mail and don't hear any response for months. I figured she found someone else to do it cheaper.

Then one day I go to the mail box and there's a check in the mail (I get 50% up front).

And, of course, she then wanted a bunch of additional stuff done, which is "extra costs options".

So it'll keep me busy for a while and I'll make decent money on it. It's funny how these things work out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Mike, you're going to have to change your avatar back. I forget who you really are sometimes.
    I'll try to get a decent picture of me and upload it.

Mike

At least you can find someone to who will pay you for woodworking (even if it turns out to be slave-labor rates)!! While I don't particularly care for this design, it looks well-executed.

I too enjoy your website.

Good work Mike, are you sure you just have a small garage workshop because the stuff I see you make looks like it's out of a cabinet shop.

I like your Japanese "no".

Though did you know that when an old fashioned Japanese person says "no", then that means "yes"?

An example is I offer my grandma the last piece of Sashimi. Well she says "no" automatically then I have to "insist", and then she accepts it.

Great

I was hoping to here that you got payed what your skill was worth. I was in Japan (CofG) and they used to say no speaky english if they wanted to turn me off on some thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mason View Post
    At least you can find someone to who will pay you for woodworking (even if it turns out to be slave-labor rates)!! While I don't particularly care for this design, it looks well-executed.

I too enjoy your website.
    Thanks. The reason I do the project pictures on the my website is that I work slowly. I have some family issues that take a lot of my time so I only get a couple of hours of shop time, and not even every day. The pictures allow the client to see that I'm working on their project. And, of course, some like to see the construction details.

I do warn the client that it will take me a long time to complete their project so there's no surprises.

While I can't do a lot, I like having the projects as a respite from my other obligations, and getting the extra money is nice.

Mike

Mike;

I don't know why the design has been bashed here. I sure like it.
    Job well done.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Nice work...thnx for showing us
    Jerry