Thread: WB Shellac Question

WB Shellac Question

I applied a coat of WB shellac to my unfinished door and as expected it reised the grain. When I light sand to take down the raised grain some areas are getting sanded deeper than others due to the profiles built into the door. Any ways to prevent this?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
    assuming it is shellac, then either dont worry about it, the next coat will cover the raw wood, or put a couple coats on before sanding.
    Reason for the assuming is that I dont believe that shellac is water soluble, so a water based shellac is not possible (could be wrong, would not be the first time).
    If it is not shellac, read the can carefully, then re post your question with the correct finish.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Mike H,
    Target Coatings makes a WB shellac, and yes, it is water soluble.
    http://www.targetcoatings.com/sealer_ultrasealwb.html

Mike G,
    Don't understand your question, can you post a picture?

Probably not at this time. While not a frequent user of waterborne products, when I have a surface that will be difficult to sand, I first apply a coat of standard shellac. This keeps the surface from reacting to the waterborne.
    Howie.........

The product uses water as a carrier and has "real" shellac and a solvent suspended in that water. So your first coat of this project is going to give you a grain raise that isn't a real issue with traditional shellac products. And since sanding can both cut through and also remove the raised grain, exposing some wood surface in the process, the second coat can also have additional grain raise. Personally, I prefer to use Zinsser SealCoat, rather than the Target shellac product. (But I swear by the Target Coatings finishes otherwise...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the replies. I re-coated and was more careful with the sanding. I had the sander on high speed. I lowered it and no more problems.

Jim- I first applied SealCoat but after talking to Target they said it could present problems with WB products. So I sanded it off and applied their WD sealer (at least I only had to do this to the door panels). Can Zinsser SealCoat be used under WB finishes?

Thanks,

Mike

I have not seen de-waxed shellac cause problems for water born finishes.

Shellac that still has the wax is a real problem. Ditto for poly.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    I have not seen de-waxed shellac cause problems for water born finishes.

Shellac that still has the wax is a real problem. Ditto for poly.
    ...guess I got taken? I remember being told that an all alcohol base would be fine - not sure but I think I was told Zinsser is not all alcohol based.

I've heard that warning about using SealCoat, but have never had a problem with it. In fact, I've gone from BLO to SealCoat to USL (now EM6000) in a single day with no problem. "Thick" coats of shellac can apparently exacerbate the supposed problem, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the info. I just put the last coat of topcoat on the door and it looks great. Now I need to work on
    topcoating
    the frame and sidelights once I assemble them.

Mike

Zinsser Sealcoat is a DE-waxed shellac, a 2# cut.

The other Zinsser; amber and clear still have wax. both 3# cut.

All are alcohol based.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Florida, well actually north west Florida
    you can make your own water born shellac from flakes but you have to use borax and water with the flakes. i prefer alcohol in my shellac, smells better, acts better, more familiar with the outcome.